calling Stang8URMPRT and others, flat tappet cam

88GT17MA

Nov 1, 2004
Sent a PM to Stang8URMPRT but he is banned so cant receive my message. Im looking for info on flat tappet cam setups but they seem to be pretty rare combos among the poeple here on stangnet.

I have TFS tw heads with double valve springs and a flat tappet cam. Are these springs too much for a flat tappet cam? Im pretty sure double valve springs are a way to avoid valve float when using a roller cam.

Can I use these double valve springs with a flat tappet.

The rest of the combo:

stock block, tfs 1.7 rockers, stock 5.0 flat tappet cam, holley intake, t70 turbo

• Sponsors (?)

Yo. Funny seeing me being called in for a tech question.. I know nothing! :D :D.

I ran a Crane cam with .484 intake, 216 @ .050, .512, 226 @ .050 exhaust.. Worked good. Then I bought some AFR 165s and upgraded to a Comp Cams XE274H cam.... Pretty agressive. The stock springs from AFR worked wonderfully. They were double springs, with a third "stabalizer" spring. Worked awesome man.

Also, it's very hard to over spring a cam. It's always best to overspring then to under spring and have massive valve float at 4500 rpms. :) Hope this was of some help!

With that said. You will be A-OK with that setup. Flat tappets can rev to the moon without valve float, because the F/T cams don't have such an aggressive ramp rate... like a roller cam does.... Which will cause valve float if you don't have lots of spring pressure. With the stock cam and double valve springs (which I'm sure are atleast 120 lbs of seat pressure), your rotating assembly will fly apart before you get any valve float. :nice:

Nick