Cam choices

1967coupe

Feb 25, 2004
Wausau, WI
I should be getting my home ported heads back from the machine shop in the next day or 2 and I figured I may as well replace the stock cam while I'm at it. Obviously since these are "stock" heads I know I can't get too crazy. I just need something to tie me over for the next couple years until I can get a crate stroker. Would a Performer cam be too much?

• Sponsors (?)

cam

I'm running a cam in my 289 with stock heads, mild port work and it works AWESOME! Here are the specs:

M-6250-A312* Ford Racing
(1) 289/302 Flat Tappet Hydraulic
Duration: 290° 300° (214 224)
Lift: 0.472" 0.496"

You can pick the same cam up from PAW with lifters for the same price...that's what I did. I had the same plan you did but this engine runs so good why mess with it. Good luck

Stock heads do not mean small cam IMO. Don't be shy with cam size. In the early '80s there were 306's running deep into the 11's with stock heads. They were not very street friendly, but high 12's is not out of the question with a well set up car. Talk to a cam company, and let them help with the selection.

I have a 230/230 actual cam with .512 lift with my, for now, stock 79 302 heads. I love the cam, a little lopy but it gets the ricers out of my way. When I get my next set of heads I think they will work great together!