Cam info

Hoops8889

Mar 31, 2020
Hudson mi.
Can someone tell me if these cams I got with a stock 01 4.6 engine I purchased will work with it, new to cam changes so any info would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20200402_001444.jpg
    20200402_001444.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200402_001312.jpg
    20200402_001312.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Sponsors (?)

Hi,
Values correlate on the box with those engraved on the Cam, advertised duration being 260 degrees Intake, 268 degrees exhaust, 114 Degree lobe separation angle. Valve lift & duration @ 0.050 .525/222.&.500/218.
No rocker ratio listed, yet as they were usually 1.8:1, take Advertised lift & divide for lobe lift..
0.500/1.8= 0.2777(0.278),
0.525/1.8=0.2918(0.292)
Will they fit? Yes. Recommend a clay test, as there’s unknowns (extremely remote there’d be an issue). Idle to 5,000 I’d guess. Very streetable Cam, FI or NA. Bullet does a lot of 4.6/5.4l grinds, take a look at their site.
The OE 4.6l 2V cams spec out at 0.512/0.540 lift, with duration at 0.050 of 200/204, had a very wide lobe separation angle, 116-118Deg.
So, less lift than OE. Not unusual with aftermarket 4.6l 2V “drop in” Cams as motors didn’t have lots of room for high lift, duration is the other way to go for HP. It’d be a notable bump over stock, not crazy. Have the Cam Card or any other info given when you purchased them?
Looks a lot like an XE262AH grind in regards to duration, with less lift.

Best!
-John

Thanks for the reply, I didn't get any info or a cam card, I'm new to all the cam talk and I've been trying to research as much as possible but I'm on a steep learning curve. The car I'm trying to put this in is relatively stock the only upgrades are 410 gears and flowmasters exhaust. I am looking at long tube headers on install but I'm still not sure about the cams. I'm assuming I'll need to upgrade springs as well or are stock springs adequate for these cams.

HI,
Well, you could do better- without a doubt. But we don’t have all the spec’s yet either. No, I’d not run the OE springs, if it turns out you decide to run them I can spec some out, or Bullet may have it on their evasive Cam Card. lol
There’s literally hundreds of shelf Cams for the 2V 4.6’s/5.4’s, thousands for 289/302/351’s & still if you’re building a project motor you will make the best HP/TQ where you want it by having a custom grind made specifically for your build.
Most subtle of grind alterations can yield huge results (in gains or losses) we have a reasonable amount of information regarding your cam(s), data may be extrapolated from other spec’s you have, but not the events.
I’m not suggesting custom Cams, I’ll see if I can locate the card.
-John

Last edited:
Yea, I'm not trying to get to crazy with this build such as custom cams, I'm building this for my son for a graduation from college present. I owned this mustang about twelve years ago and me and my son used to go to alot of car shows in it. I sold it a few years after owning it and miraculously got it back recently. So basically I'm doing a sentimental rebuild and it seems those can get quite expensive lol.thanks again for all the info, tommorow on my day off I'll do some hunting on the bullet site and see if there is a card out there somewhere. I figure at the cost of a set of cams I might as well try my best to get these in the car otherwise they will end up collecting dust on the shelf. As for springs, should i be looking at springs that would be compatible with something that the 262ah cam would use then.

Hi,
Very cool! Some of my older cars I’d like to get my hands back on, don’t think I’ll get that lucky, could retire off 2, a congratulations to you however. I’ll call Bullet, I’m curious now, lol! Congrat’s in your son graduating College!!
:nice:
How many miles on the motor?
Have a flash tuning device?
Cool air intake & a 70mm T.body will wake it up. Note, LT Headers will require a tune due to different 02 sensor placement. Shorty’s will not, and will bolt up to the exhaust as the stock manifolds did. Will not yield results like long tubes, nor become loud(er).
In regards to Valvetrain, start out with the conventional single cam engine, it’ll yield broader exposure to more useful subject matter in less time, it’ll simplify a substantial SOHC/DOHC motor’s.
The approaches differ, theory stays solid. Will help flatten out that learning curve, as will this virtual engine building/Dyno program, click/download free trial(right price!). 7-10 days I believe.
Many base engines, can create- any displacement. LOTS of multiple major Mfg’s engine parts, ie, Heads, Cams, Intakes, bottom ends, Injectors, Carbs..Headers, etc.
All are infinitely variable by typing in any of your own values, even Flow-bench data.
Will allow you insight by viewing how the Dyno results are affected by modifications you make, can build any motor and correctly identify how a change affects it & why, program will tell you if it sees error within the build. Will optimize the build-if desired.
Every term is explained as you come across in great detail by clicking on it.
Tried it 20 years ago & was surprised then. I’ve bought every revision over the years, it’s right on track with builds I’ve done, parts used are there, results on Dyno, many within 5-10HP/10-12Ft/lbs. Now, with improvements over the years, it’s quite a useful tool...take a looksee..
https://engine-analyzer-pro.informer.com/3.9/
The springs & retainers for the 262AH will work fine for those Cams. Oe’s are likely spent, you want a solid 125lbs, valve seated. OE replacements would work, little light.
New Cam-New springs, keepers, retainers, Ford lifters (Lash adjusters in the OHC Valvetrain).. Viton valve seals.
A reputable shop will clean them, check for warpage, 3 angle valve job, reassemble, pressure test. Tool to compress springs is pricey, modded, large vise grips work (slot in top jaw for stem/keeper clearance). Or, have them pull valves, lap them at home.
If you haven’t yet seen the front covers off a 4.6/5.4 OHC motor, you’ll be surprised!
The timing chains are ridiculously long, first time I’d pulled one, looked like an accident waiting to happen..but work well..concept questionable, but well engineered.
With the cam info provided, timing events (in Crank degrees) will be similar, to slightly increased event duration over what the 262AH Cam uses.
(262AH Events)
Valve Timing @ 0.05" Lift:
Open .... Close
Intake: 4 BTDC 42 ABDC
Exhaust: 52 BBDC -2 ATDC
No, won’t be crazy. Will be a torquey Cam right on through, idle good, the reversion low, strong throttle response. 1,000-5 -5300 RPM’s. Events will tell the rest.
Sorry for the long dissertation..
Stay safe!
Best
-John

I'm not sure of the milage, Its from an 01 mustang. I do have a DS predator programmer. I'm still on the fence as to installing the cams but I did order a spring removal tool so I can replace the springs so most likely I'll install them, I just can't see leaving them on the shelf. Thanks again for all the great info it really has helped me get a better idea of what I'm doing.