Cam Question

The Hitman

Founding Member
Oct 17, 2001
Orlando, FL
Ok.. I'm starting to buy all the parts I need for my head swap...
The only question I have is what cam should I buy for a set of GT-40P's? I want something a bit wild but still a good streeter.
Crower 15511?
Crane 2031?
B303 with 1.7's?

What are some other good cams that would be good for P's? What are the best springs? Lifters? Pushrods? Thanks

Personally, I would spend the few extra $ and call Ed Curtis for a custom cam. For a fairly insignifigant difference in price you get something that is custom tailored to your application. Thats what I have done, but just my $.02.

Your going to need a cam that favors the exhaust side because that is where the P's lack. Stay away from the letter cams. Remember, unless you upgrade valve springs, your going to have to stay under .500 lift, which with the P's isn't going to be too bad because they make peak flow around .475 lift. Try to find a cam that has a 110 or 112 LSA with a .48x/.49x lift and a 212-ish/218-ish duration at 0.050.

Joe

For how small of a cam it is, it is a very good cam. It's lift numbers are a little on the small side, but the duration numbers make up for it. IMO, that is one of the best cams on the market. The LSA is iffy. It is not really made for an N/A car, but it keeps our touchy computers from wacking out. I say go for it.

Joe

Wasn't there someone on here with a P and 15511 combo? How did he do?
Also I was thinking of rebuilding the heads if they aren't already built when I buy them...
What would be a good set of springs? Valves? Thanks.

The Hitman said:
I've really been eyeballing the 15511 by Crower.. anyone have any input?

I am very happy with my FTI cam and help Ed C gave me with my combo.

I've seen several good looking dyno pulls that have used the 15511 cam.

As for the pcm thing I can say for certain that you can tame a pretty wild (were talking street not race) cam with a tuning device or chip.

My car would barely idle or run at low speeds after my head, cam, & inj upgrade.

After a bit of adjusting with a Tweecer, except for cam lope idle, the car behaves like a stocker.

IMHO, the ability to adjust the pcm for drivability, gives one the option to pick a more agressive cam.

Later
Grady