Camber Question

OK, so I've being doing some research on caster/camber plates and trying to figure out exactly how they provide more adjustability than the stock plates. I had MM ones on my '95, and they were great but what I don't understand is why cant you just make the slots where the bolts for the stock c/c plates longer with a die grinder. That way the stock plate can move towards the outside of the car moving the top of the strut outward allowing you to compensate for the negative camber. I'm not looking to adjust the caster at all, I just want to compensate for some of the negative camber I currently have.

I'm not looking for a lecture on "You need c/c plates if your dropped more than 1.5", I've heard it all and I understand the reason for them. I had them on my old car and they were great, but the more I think of it, the more I just don't understand the need. Ford designed the top of the strut towers with these slots to allow for adjustability at stock ride height for a normal alignment, so I don't get why making these slots slightly longer wouldn't do the job.

Any thoughts on this? Please discuss.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes you can...

BUT, if you mess it up, there is no turning back for repairs. Get the aftermarket plates for a cleaner install and less chance of really messing everything up.

Pic below is an example of a mess up... not me though.

dsc00066s.jpg

Done right, it can be beautiful...

Mine...

Caster-Camber-Plates-3-640.jpg

you can but it would be easier to install the plates. plus you dont risk doing some EXPENSIVE damage to your strut towers by taking out too much material and making them weak.

if you're looking for the cheap route to fixing camber you can install a pair of 18mm cam bolts in place of your strut bolts to adjust it out some more

you can but it would be easier to install the plates. plus you dont risk doing some EXPENSIVE damage to your strut towers by taking out too much material and making them weak.

if you're looking for the cheap route to fixing camber you can install a pair of 18mm cam bolts in place of your strut bolts to adjust it out some more

I have never seen camber bolts before. Can you please elaborate a little? I don't need to compensate much, maybe 1.5 degrees.

EDIT: Did a little research...looks like these are them:

Speed Concepts - 81280 - Camber adjustment bolts 1979-2004 Mustang GT/V6/Bullitt/Mach1/Cobra (# 81280)

For $30 I think it might be worth a shot. I don't need that much adjustment, just a little bit, plus when I reinstalled the struts after doing the springs, I didn't pull outward on the strut before tightening it. I'll fiddle with it tomorrow and see what happens.

Anyone else running these?

I've done what you are trying to do with my vert before.

At first I only got the bolts, but they eventaully walk themselves loose so that was a waste of money...

I ended up going for CC plates becasue it is done correctly, with no problems.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but you really might as well spring for some plates....

the bolts will not work loose if installed correctly. i have installed literally hundreds of these bolts and never seen once come loose.

to the OP, those are the exact bolts i used at my old job everyday. even the same product number.

to get the most positive camber adjustment, jack the car with the suspension unloaded and then install the bolt. do not jack it up under the LCA's

BTW i have a pair brand new i'll send to you for $20 shipped. PM me if you want them