CAN ANYONE HELP ME??? FOX BODY REAR DISC BRAKES

Hello, :bang: :bang:

Here is the deal. I've searched as many posts as I can and tried to do as much reading as possibel to find any and all info. Its time for me to ask my own questions.
I have a 91 notchback and I am doing a 5-lug disc brake conversion on all 4's. I am going with 18x9's on all four corners, cobra front calipers and '96 disc brakes in the back.

I don't have the money, like many of you, and I am trying to piece it together as cheap as possible, but not too cheap.
I won an auction on ebay for a complete '96 rear disc brake set-up and axles.
I am not going with the axles because I need stock length in order to fit 18x9's.At least that is what I read. If anything I am saying is wrong, PLEASE TELL ME.

1) I do need stock length axles to fit 18x9's, correct??

2) I found FMS 31-spline axles 5-lug (m-4235-f)I believe they are stock length, but not sure??? I think they will work with the disc brake set-up????

3) What else will I need to complete the package???? Hoses, new banjo bolts, etc.???

4) Also, I read that in order to use the stock fox length axles, I will need something call a North RaceCars Bracket. Do I really need this and have to spend another $150, or do I not??? And is that the right price or am I looking at something more expensive??? Because when somebody says bracket, I wouldn't think of it as being that expensive.

5) Was the purchase of the '96 rear disc brake set-up good or bad?? I can use that, right???

Thanks, in advance for any and all help given.
:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

You can use the 96 brakes in the back, but you didn't say beside cobra what you are using up front. You need 94 or 95 spindles. If you need, go a little cheaper and get the ranger or bronco II axles ( 83-92 I think) from a you pull it place you need the drivers side axles. Or Arostar axles but the passengers side.
And yes you do need the bracket and $150 is the price. I think I saw them a 50resto a little cheaper, but you have shipping.

Go to these sites it is explained very well.

http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/mustang/mc.html

www.mustangmotorsport.com

Don't forget about the master cyclinder, brake lines and odds and ends.

As for the wheels fitting it really depends on a combination of backspacing and axles length. Some times springs and shock even play a part in the fit when you go to a 9" rim.

I did get 95 spindles & hubs for the front. I didn't forget about the master cylinder. I figured I would just buy the new 31-spline axles. It's a mid-12 sec. street car and with 4:10's in the rear I don't want to snap anything. That probably wouldn't happen, but I like new better.

I read that with the 94-95 spindles and stock fox length axles in the rear i would be able to fit 18x9's.

speedstang91 said:
This mght be a stupid question, but what is the difference between 28-spline and 31-spline. The strength of the axle???
Ummmmm..not sure how to answer this one......may be a trick question......hmmmm.....well after much though and deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that one has 3 more splines than the other. Man, I hope I am right.

Reactions: 1 user
speedstang91,

The 31 spline axles will not fit in a 28 spline stock rear carrier. If you arent changing the carrier in the diff, you'll need 28 spline axles. And to answer your question 31 splines are stronger as there is more contact area where the splines mesh into the carrier.

http://www.moserengineering.com/Pages/axletech.html has a calculator that will allow you to make sure your cars torque does not exceed the strength of your axles, based on spline count. I guess following the pattern on the 31 spline and 30 splines that 28 splines should be able to take around 5000 ft/pds of torque per axle.

I suggest this website for more info on the brake install.http://www.svo73mm.cjb.net/

So assuming that my rear carrier is stock, the 4:10's were already in it when I bought the car, I need 2 buy 28-spline axles and not 31. Got ya.
Does anyone know where they have a kit for 28-spline FMS axles, not sure if i've seen 1.

If I decide to go the cheaper route and get them at a junk yard, do you think that would be a wise decision. Strength and durablity and not having any problems down the road???

What spline are my stock 4-lug and what about the 5-lug ones I could get from the junk yard??

And there is no such thing as a dumb question.:bang: :bang: :lol:

Superior and Moser both make 28 spline axles in the stock lenght. I just did mine with Moser axles last weekend. Both are good kits the Superior kit comes with new axles bearings and seals. The aftermarket are around 20% stronger than stock from what I have read. I went with the Moser because of quality and they are forged not cold rolled, but like I said both are good from respones I got on here. You can order both through Summit racing. Strange also makes strong axles.

I use to run in the low 12s and was fine on stock Lincoln axles. I don't think you are pushing enough to need the 31 upgrade. But if you constantly launch at 3 to 5K that is hard on them after time.

Good luck!

I am trying to get away from it being a track car, hence the conversion and 18x9's al the way around. When I did go to the track, I had m/t drag slicks and left the line at 5,500.(Enough times doing that something might snap:lol: ) I don't plan on going to the track often due to an unfortunate high speed crash years ago with my black 89 gt vert. Go to my garage and check out the pics if you want. That is after it was totaled twice.

It's early for me now, 6:30 a.m. When i get done work, I'm gonna make another post about a cobra front and rear brake kit for $715. I want to see what you guys think. ?.?.?.?

Ok, so I found this cobra brake package(front & rear). I talked to a guy there today, he had some knowledge, but couldn't answer all of my questions. But you guys are probably tired of me asking questions too..???:bang:

Instead of going with the Cobra Front Brake set-up for $550 and using the '96 Brake set-up in the rear, I'm thinking of spending the extra $300 for the cobra rear brakes too...????

Here is the link, check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=446

He said they could piece together a custom package to accommodate my needs for the fox body(Brake Lines, etc.). Instead of buying the FMS 5-Lug Disc Brake Conversion package for $2,000 to $2,300. I priced it out to be an estimated $1,500 with everything, I think???:rolleyes:

---Cobra Front & Rear Brakes & all hardware
---'95 Spindles & Hubs
---E-Brake Cables
---Brake Booster, Master Cylinder, etc.

$865 for the cobra front & rear brakes & hardware
$635 for the rest of the stuff

I do have two questions, sorry.....

This cobra front & rear brake kit comes with a caliper bracket adapter. I think, that's what the guy said and it shows two in the pic. I'm not sure if that is the one I need for my car to use stock length fox axles. And of course the kid didn't know either. He told me he could make a custom kit and I should be able to get the right caliper bracket adapter I need.

Does anyone know if the caliper bracket that comes in the FMS Cobra 5-lug disc brake conversion is the one I need for stock fox length axles??

I'm probably driving you guys crazy, but I'm going crazy too.:bang:

I will be getting a '96 rear disc brake set-up and axles soon. Will I need to use any of the hardware from that???

I will be listing the rest of it on ebay, because I'm not using the axles and probably not the calipers and rotors.

Last question....um....ok....sorry, I said only two questions.

I have the '95 spindles and hubs for the front, but no brake hardware.
What do I need and where can I get it??? I'm going to go with the cobra calipers so do I need cobra brackets or will regular mustang brackets work???? The kit says it comes with brackets, but I think it is just for the back..????

Thanks, guys.

Well, I just found a way to drop the brake kit down $100, to $765.00

I found a ton of cobra calipers on EBAY, drilled&slotted, slotted and regualr.
From the home page just search cobra rotors and there is a mess of them for sale and a most have the buy it now and are as cheap as $100 or less and have free shipping.

Check it out and let me know what you guys think??? Are the brands ok, I probably haven't heard of any of them.

Do you think it would be a good idea to purchase a set of front & back off ebay to keep the cost down. I'm not sure about quality and durability???

let me know

thanks

You can save a ton of money on an SN95 conversion if you look for deals and don't get enamored with having to have the best of everything to start out with. You can't forget about the little things that will eat away at your budget. I just did this swap this winter, so I can relate to your frustration. Here's how I put it together:

Junkyard 94 spindles with hubs: $40 each
I took a wire wheel to them, then painted them and they look better than new.

99 PBR calipers: $80 off ebay with brackets and bolts. Could have went cobra but this way saves some $$$. The PBRs have plenty of stopping power for a light fox body.

SN95 ball joints: $40 at auto zone
I preferred this to the spacer technique. You can press these into your stock control arms using the autozone loaner tool

Junkyard 95 GT/V6/Cobra rear calipers: $40
These calipers are all the same, with the cobras using a different bracket and larger vented rotor. Again, I wanted to save here so I used the GT stuff. The stopping power and looks are still light years ahead of the POS stock drums.

Brake lines: Free
My russell SS lines from my fox brake setup worked with the PBRs. The rear soft lines came with the rear calipers I bought. You will need 94-95 rear soft lines.

Rear hard line modification: $40
The rear fox hard line will be too long to mate up properly with the SN95 rear setup. Some people do a home ghetto bend job to make it work. I chose to have a pro do it and it was inexpensive. My local muffler/brake shop gave me new custom bent lines and fittings for a paltry $40.

North Cobra brackets: $150
These were kind of pricey for what you get, but they do the job. This is what you need to use the stock length axles. They sell cobra or GT specific brackets.

Hawk Brake pads: $140 on ebay (front and rear)
You can save money with house brand pads, but I have had good luck with Hawk pads in the past.

Rotors: $150 on ebay (front and rear)
As you said there are hundreds of these on ebay. I would recommend zinc washed so they wont rust out easily. Drilled and slotted look good but won't make much of a difference unless you are autocrossing.

Junkyard 97 V6 brake booster and MC: $40
These are a dime a dozen. Make sure you get a vacuum booster and not hydraulic from a newer car. Some people have done this swap with their stock booster, but I wouldn't recommend it. The booster / MC swap was by far the most aggravating step of the conversion, but it can be done without bashing in your firewall.

Axles: I used my old ones from my cheapo 5 lug drum conversion kit. You can get junkyard axles all day long from 4 banger rangers or aerostars. You can upgrade to Moser or equivalent later on when you save up some more $$.

Master cylinder conversion kit: I forgot the price but I got this from maximum motorsports. It has the proportioning valve and fittings you need to convert your stock distrobution block. This kit (whoever from) is not optional.

Ebrake cables: I got these from discbrakesrus, don't remember the price. I got the 2 rear cables and the adjustable center piece. Some people have used their stock center piece. You might be able to find these cheaper elsewhere.

Alignment: $50
The car will be marginally driveable after the swap. Consider an alignment a must.

Misc: Dust shields, brake fluid, flare wrenches, beer, band aids, hot pockets, etc. These aren't big $$ but can add up.

Good luck with the swap, you will be happy with the result and your car will thank you.