Can I add a cat back?

• Sponsors (?)

rdefino said:
I have a 2003 cobra and I have already installed the magnaflow exhaust. I would like to do a catback system. Can I still do one with the magnaflows in there? And if so, what's a good one to go with?

thanks

call me crazy, but if you have a magnaflow exhaust, it is a cat-back... unless you are talking about just a magnaflow X or H pipe. You can get any cat-back exhaust just be sure it's for 03/04 Cobra. Magnaflow, Bassani, SLP, and JBA have gotten good reviews. I like Bassani the best.

My mistake. I already have the Cat back installed. It's the complete kit. Pipes, mufflers, tips. What I'm looking for is a setrup to go between the engine and the cat back. but I still need to pass inspection, so I guess I need to keep the Cats in place. I'm looking at getting the XCalibrator 2 tuner and would like to do the mods before getting it dynoed.

thanks for the help

rdefino said:
My mistake. I already have the Cat back installed. It's the complete kit. Pipes, mufflers, tips. What I'm looking for is a setrup to go between the engine and the cat back. but I still need to pass inspection, so I guess I need to keep the Cats in place. I'm looking at getting the XCalibrator 2 tuner and would like to do the mods before getting it dynoed.

thanks for the help
Okay... so you have a Magnaflow cat-back currently installed. The only other components of your exhaust system are the manifolds (headers) and the mid-pipe. Magnaflow makes a catted X-pipe and you can get C.A.R.B. legal shorty headers (JBA) if you really wanted to. There's no guarantee though that these components will pass a "sniff" test.

I currently run this exact setup on my '03. Adding headers to your Cobra is an expensive, pain-in-the-butt job that takes even experienced mechanics almost 8 hours to perform and you won't see much peak gains in the HP/TQ department once you're done. Headers are not a good "bang for the buck" mod on a basically stock Terminator. The mid-pipe will give you a few extra ponies, but it too is expensive, at least the catted versions can be.

U.M.

rdefino said:
Would I be wasting my money if I just got the X-calibrator2 tuner. I already have the K&n FIPK gen2 installed. There's a place near me that will do the tuning.
Waste of money... yes if the ONLY mods you ever decide to perform on your car is just a CAI and a cat-back... but if you plan on eventually putting a pulley, mid-pipe, headers, etc. on it then a handheld tuner like the Xcal2 is a MUST! You will see some performance gains from the "canned" performance tune that comes with a handheld tuner. Just make sure whoever you purchase the XCal2 from has a reputation for good service and customer support. I highly suggest you check this place out...

http://www.runninwiththedevil.com

U.M.