Can I get SUPERCHARGED???

juiced_94gt

Mar 30, 2005
Southern California
Ok my combo is in the sig. it's a 331, with CHP flat top pistons, AFR 185's with a 61cc combustion chamber, and felpro 1011-2 HG's, im not sure what thats makes my compression ratio but im assuming it's around 10:1 is it possible to supercharge it with a safe tune?? will it blow up?? I really want the supercharger whistle at idle and might even do a KB but all within reasonable boost levels (not trying to impress the dyno) CAN I SUPERCHARGE????:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Ok my combo is in the sig. it's a 331, with CHP flat top pistons, AFR 185's with a 61cc combustion chamber, and felpro 1011-2 HG's, im not sure what thats makes my compression ratio but im assuming it's around 10:1 is it possible to supercharge it with a safe tune?? will it blow up?? I really want the supercharger whistle at idle and might even do a KB but all within reasonable boost levels (not trying to impress the dyno) CAN I SUPERCHARGE????:shrug:

10.1 and you want to supercharge it i think thats asking for trouble i wouldnt supercharge anything over 9.1

With that head gasket and those pistons your compression is about 10.6:1. I wouldn't have a problem putting boost on a 10:1 motor but 10.6:1 is really pushing it for a street car. You could do thicker gaskets, some custom Cometic gaskets, to bring the compression down to 9.8:1 or so.

There is a formula that will tell you your compression ratio, its in one of my Mustang books maybe some one else has it off hand, if not I'll find it and post it up tonight after work

Its all in the tune. With the high compression the tune is VERY important to be spot on.

Very true, but octane is another factor he needs to consider. With over 10.5 compression, he will have to run low boost, pull timing, and add fuel, so the increase would not be would it could be with lower compression. With race fuel, boost away, as long as your block is up to the task.

Need to know where the piston is in the hole. I'm running KB flat tops (6-7cc valve reliefs) with my AFR 185's (63 cc) and .010" in the hole, .039" head gaskets and the caclulated compression ratio is around 9.3.
I had a Powerdyne (9lb pulley & made 390 to the wheels & 425 rwtq), but have since sold the powerdyne and am currently installing a Vortec. I'll be keeping the boost to under 10.
"SHOULD" be ok with boost below 10 and a good tune. Nothing is a guarentee.