Canton 7 qt pan

mustang90

Founding Member
Feb 8, 2001
installed a canton 7 qt pan on my 08 roush. I used the felpro silicone gasket with the install. However, I preoiled the gasket using some motor oil. I barely drive the car like maybe 200 miles a year. Noticed a small drop of oil underneath. Thought the cause of this was the oil sensor side plug canton uses on these pans. Pull the plug and installed some thread tape on the threads. No more oil from there. However, I look at the gasket and see a small mist of oil In certain spots which is so minor. Do I need to pull the pan and clean the gasket off or will heat from driving fix the issue. It’s so minor I don’t even think I want to bother. Perhaps I will check the bolt torques again as well.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't pre-oil gaskets except for the oil filter which is done to keep the gasket from sticking during the next oil change. IMO, gaskets work best when they mate directly up to the surface they are sealing without any oily substances. Especially silicone gaskets. If I did use anything, on say a cork gasket, then it would be a silicone based sealer made specific for the location and liquid it was sealing.

I checked again today and nothing has dropped. Pan is dry. Maybe it was just the oil sensor plug not being sealed. Will put up on the loft and check again tomorrow and see. Thanks for the reply bro!