Car Cranks Sometimes After A Few Tries Starts

Jordan Warta

Nov 29, 2015
1995 Mustang GT. 186k miles. This issue arose in March and would usually only happen in the morning if there was dew out causing the car to be wet. It started happening more often, I left the car at home for three weeks without driving.l in July, then the issue didn't happen for about 3 weeks. Now the issue is arising again, this week it happened on every cold start in the morning and after work when it was sitting for 8 hours. Basically it'll crank and won't start, it takes about 4-5 tries but eventually it'll start. I've found if I turn the key without starting to let the fuel pump fully prime it starts in the first try. I'm not sure if it could be bad gas or going to the same gas station. The battery was replaced April 2016, full time up (wires, distributor, spark plugs, cap and rotor) in April 2016). New fuel pump was put in May of 2016.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, or a stuck fuel injector possibly based on your symptoms. Putting a gauge on there can help you determine if it's not building enough pressure or if it's bleeding down too fast. Technically you're always supposed to wait for the prime before you crank with these earlier-model EFI cars.

Reactions: 1 user