Car cuts out when we make a right turn?

JBeezy53

Dec 28, 2003
Sacramento, Ca
The fuel pump died in my friend's 88 LX AOD drop. So he picked up a new fuel pump, we changed it out and the cars runs better than before but everytime he takes a semi hard right turn it cuts out? So a week later we dropped th etank again and made sure the pump filter was angled correctly and seated correctly. Its still cuts off when turning right, just not as much as before. We also changed the fuel filter while we were back there. I've changed a few pumps before with no issues.

So any ideas? Has anyone else had this issue.

• Sponsors (?)

The other thought I had was a failing inertia switch. Since the issue was not present before the swap, that doesn't seem likely either.

If things were ok before the swap, are you sure the sock stayed on the pump?

Yeah the sock stayed on the pump. After thinking about it, it has to be the baffle. It must be moving around in there. I've done everything else correctly. His fuel gauge doesn't work either and I've seen baffles break off before and damage sending units.

We'll just get a new tank and sending unit. Thanks for the help Hissin50.

I have had the baffle break on both my 86 and my 89. Drop the tank, pull the pump, grab a broom handle and see if it moves. When you change a pump and drop tank without moving a broken baffle, it will act fine but you will hear a weird clunking noise once in a while since the pump holds the baffle in loosely. If you drop the tank and tilt it, you get exactly what you describe as the pump will be on one side of the baffle box....and you will occasionally hear it clunk. New tanks on eBay are pretty cheap and work fine.