Car died while driving, so I left it!!

somersdp

Nov 16, 2003
WPB,Florida
Car died while driving, please help!!

Today I replaced my balancer and that went great, and on the way home from doing that the car just died while I was driving. I still had power but It crapped out. I could statr it up and drive for about 10 seconds at a time, so I parked it and called the wife to come get me. I have power to the pump and have fuel at the schrader valve. I have power from the battery and I have a good connection on the coil. I pulled the codes and it said something about ignition. I have an msd pro billet dissy that I have already had sent back to msd once, so does this sound like a control module problem? As it heats up maybe? I put a new module in it from Autozone and am going to put it in in the morning. Any thoughts or things to check? Please let me know. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

What do you mean by primary and secondary? Are you taking about inside the distributor, or are you taking about the actual coil that gives the spark to the distributor, like a blaster3? Let me know what you mean so I can try iy tomorrow. I have a multimeter and will check the blaster3 first thing after putting the dissy back in. Thanks!

somersdp said:
What do you mean by primary and secondary? Are you taking about inside the distributor, or are you taking about the actual coil that gives the spark to the distributor, like a blaster3? Let me know what you mean so I can try iy tomorrow. I have a multimeter and will check the blaster3 first thing after putting the dissy back in. Thanks!

Yeah the coil is what you want to test. It also may test good when cold and bad when it gets hot.

Ok, im not sure which ohms setting for which test, but you should be able to figure it out, you will use 200k for one test and 200 for the other. First unplug the coil wire from the coil and unplug the other connector.

On one test you will touch one lead (doesnt matter which) to the coil where the wire goes to the dizzy, and touch the other lead to one of the metal prongs where the connector would plug in.

On the next test just touch one lead to one metal prong and the other to the other metal prong.

Hope this makes sense! I have the instructions and specific readings for the ohms at work so im going off memory.

The car was running pretty dam good before it crapped on me. I got on it and with solid mounts, the vibrations were dawn from 3-6k. Pretty impressive if you ask me. I am going to do the tests in the morning and I will let you know how it goes. So you are saying the coil wire, the coil, and the pick-up need to be checked for resistance right? I know how to do the first 2 but not the pick-up in the dissy. I know you can buy aftermarket ones from Autozone and whatnot, maybe thats next.