Car Dies After Driving A While. Help Diagnose

79pace

something stupid will fall out of my mouth
Founding Member
Jul 21, 2000
Tulsa, OK
www.carbdford.com
Ok.. Here goes. I just got the car and don’t know its history. Things I have replaced are coil packs, charcoal canister lines and TPS. Otherwise the car is nearly stock. did clean the MAF sensor, IAC and ran codes. Only Rear 0/2 codes and one EVAP code. Nothing else out of the ordinary. Just a 97 GT 4.6L 5 Speed with Gears, Off Road H and a K&N. Otherwise Stock.

Right now it fires up and drives fine. I can drive it 15 or 20 miles to work in the morning no problems. I can drive it to to the store or wherever else without incident however if I get it on the highway for sustained driving and then get off the highway and pull up to a stop light I am taking my chances. Seems like half the time I will pull up to the light, push in the clutch and it will come down to idle, then drop about a hundred rpms and then drop a couple of hundred more till it gets down to about 400 and it acts like it is wanting to die and sometimes does but mostly just sits and stumbles. If you push the gas it does nothing but kill it quicker or you get a slight pop like a intake backfire or just nothing. Will not gain RPM and if it does die and you try to re fire it will just crank and crank and then sometime fire and still stumble and not take fuel and then randomly out of nowhere it will finally hit and you can keep your foot in it and and limp it a little ways to park it and it seems to have all of its power back while it is doing that. But if you let it die or try to go too far you will be right back where you were with it stumbling and dying. Now if you let the car cool down for a little while it will fire up and driving fine again till you drive it a while. It acts like something is getting hot. I just cant keep throwing money at it trying to fix the problem when there are no codes really and nothing to go by. Oh and when it does It doesn’t seem too rich, I don’t have that really strong fuel odor but I do smell fuel.

Some things I have noticed are this. Yesterday the battery light has started to flicker sometimes but not necessarily when the engine is running bad. Just while driving along it will flicker a little like it wants to come on steady but never does. Also the rear crossover on the fuel rail has been spliced with a barbed piece of brass that looks like it may be a slight restriction and is laying on top of the EGR pipe. I thought maybe fuel was boiling so I insulated this as good as I could with two layers of rubber heater hose around it. And this morning I noticed my fuel pump sounds kind of high pitched and changes tone when I have the brake on. Not sure this has anything to do with anything. Any help would be appreciated and if you need any additional info just let me know. I will see what I can do.

• Sponsors(?)

Bob Hughes

Dec 26, 2011
Southamptonl, NJ
Maybe someone else will confirm this but I've heard of faulty alternators causing similar symptoms....I know it sounds hard to believe, but may be worth checking if ur getting the battery light.

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
Houston Texas
First, check the battery and battery cables. Are they clean and tight?

Have the alternator tested for correct output and excessive AC ripple (bad diode). Most autoparts will do this for free.

Check the fuel pressure intake vacuum reference line. Is it connected and leak free? Are there ANY vacuum leaks? Exhaust leaks?

Now check the IAC.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...-dieing-idle-idling-rough-14.html#post2260649

IMO a problem with a fuel pump would show up under load not only a idle.

gmeach

Jun 28, 2011
Mine did something simila. Turned out it was a vacuum leak in the gas tank itself. The gasket on the top Plate of the tank was broken.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
0 2004.. Car will die while driving SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 7
1MEAN91 My Car Dies After Driving It For 10-15 Min...and No One Can Fix It. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
5 Questions about car dying while driving. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
B Car Dies While Driving (Help!) TFI? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 4
GToddyT5 HELP!!! Car completely and suddenly dies while driving! 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 46
brentwoodboy Sputters At Low RPMs When Car is Cold, Dies While Driving. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 7
pinski Car dies when put in park after driving SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
9 Need Help Asap Car Dies On My While Driving 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 10
red94fiveo Car died while driving - I have no spark... 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 12
mustangmat99 car died driving down highway?!?!?!?! SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 9
S Car died while driving, so I left it!! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
A Car starts but dies Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
91GTstroked Engine Gas smell in cabin, car died on highway. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 19
M Mustang 02 v6 misfire car starts but dies right after 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
R Need help with car dying SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
Mustang Christine Car dies in idle?? Out of ideas?? Please help!! 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
9 1995 Coyote Cobra ?s Car dies 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 1
shufixer Remote start on 2000 GT issues after instal, anti theft kicked in car died 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
Ryan96MustangGT Car dies when turned off 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
S Engine 95 5.0. Car dies when I turn the wheel at idle Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
J 2010 gt threw a code saying both banks 02 sensors lean conditions . Car dies 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 4
R Car Stalls And Dies Very Often SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 10
93silverlx50 Car Ran Great, Stumbled, Backfired And Died Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
JEREMIAH HERRIN New Motor Installed... Car Loses All Power Above 1/2 Throttle... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
L Car Starts Then Dies 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 1
J Car Dies After 20 Minutes Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
D So, My Car Died... 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 42
Jordan Warta Car Sputtering And Dieing When Starting After Car Sits 6+ Hrs?? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
Johhny J Car Idles Fine Then Dies Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
L Help! Car Stalling, Sputtering, Died! 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 11
DriveThru Low Vacuum Reading - Car Dying On Cold Start Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
B Jordan Car Dies Out When I'm Giving It Throttle And Going Down The Road SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 1
B Jordan Progress Thread Car Dies, Acts Like Its Running Out Of Gas And Misfire In Cylinder #2 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 0
N Car Died No Start Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 10
Grabbin' Asphalt Car Dies With Spout Removed!!! - My Fix Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
JasinC19 Electrical Car Dies When I Move Eec Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
MVG•GT93 Battery Wont Stay Charged And Car Dies. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
MVG•GT93 New Alternator And Battery But Car Continues To Die. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
0 Car Sputters And Dies At Idle Help 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 3
V8_Kind_Of_Guy Car Idles Fine, Give It Gas And Wants To Die Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
rebelboy194 Help!!! Car Keeps Dying!!!! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 20
95GTvert[bv12] Car Randomly Dies While Running Good, New Dizz, New Tfi..etc 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 2
G Car Dies When I Turn My Lights On? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
S Car Cuts Out/dies With No Thottle Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
GT99BLACK Electrical Car Died On Highway - Ac / Electrical Issue SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 11
foxbodymike87 Car Starts..then Dies...then Wont Turn Over. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
Exile Why does the car want to die when you hit the brakes? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
A Car Suddenly Dies! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 16
cdurbin Car Died And Won't Restart Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
cdurbin Car Died And Won't Restart Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1