Car dies when turned off

Ryan96MustangGT

Dec 7, 2017
I have a 1996 mustang gt and when I got home after driving I turned my car of then turned it back on and it was dead I jumped it and it turned on then I drove around the block and it drove normally got home turned it off then tried to turn it right back on and it was dead. I have no clue what is causing this and would appreciate some help. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

and it was dead I jumped it and it turned on then I drove around the block and it drove normally got home turned it off then tried to turn it right back on and it was dead.
We need to define "dead" in more exact terms. Exactly which of the car's systems are "dead". Everything? If there's anything that does work that can provide clues to the nature of the problem.

Turn the head lights on. Are they bright? IF the headlights are totally out (or dim) THEN:
  • There's a bad battery.
  • There's a loose battery cable
  • There's a loose ground. Either at the battery or around the radiator core support.
  • There's a problem in the Battery Junction Box (BJB).
Low tech (Red neck) voltage tester. With the head lights on, when the key is turned to crank what do the head lights do exactly? (stay the same, blink, go out, dim?).

Higher tech method: Measure the voltage at the battery with a Volt-Ohm Meter (VOM). Or have the battery tested at your local auto parts store.

WAG Method: Replace the battery.

Parts changing method: Replace the battery and alternator.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user