• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Car is bucking and stumbling follow up

  • Thread starter Thread starter red95gtconvert
  • Start date Start date Apr 25, 2007
R

red95gtconvert

New Member
May 29, 2006
382
0
0
Ponca city, OK
Apr 25, 2007
#1
  • Apr 25, 2007
  • #1
Hey folks I made a post a couple of days ago about how my car was bucking, stumbling, had random misfires, idled rough and just running like crap in general. Well the fix was changing out the oxygen sensors. The car runs smooth as can be now and feels like new again. Just thought I would let everyone know:SNSign:
 

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
5,589
9
98
Bethesda, MD
Apr 25, 2007
#2
  • Apr 25, 2007
  • #2
thanks for the follow up. these things are always good to hear.

i have a "how you fixed it thread out there somewhere, i'll see if i can find it and add this one to it
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Apr 25, 2007
#3
  • Apr 25, 2007
  • #3
red95gtconvert said:
Hey folks I made a post a couple of days ago about how my car was bucking, stumbling, had random misfires, idled rough and just running like crap in general. Well the fix was changing out the oxygen sensors. The car runs smooth as can be now and feels like new again. Just thought I would let everyone know:SNSign:
Click to expand...

Thank you for the follow-up. I linked this thread and your first reply on this thread to your original post, as a means of helping future searchers link the two threads together.
 

Blackened302

Active Member
Jul 21, 2005
1,439
0
36
South TX
Apr 25, 2007
#4
  • Apr 25, 2007
  • #4
i was having the same problem--both o2's were bad, and i had vaccum leaks at the header collectors (forgot to tighten them well) and a bad pcv.
 
V

Voice of Reason

New Member
Jun 25, 2003
70
0
0
Spring, TX
Apr 26, 2007
#5
  • Apr 26, 2007
  • #5
I'm having the same problem after my rebuild 1500 miles ago so I'm glad to hear of a possible solution. Because they were still original to the car I've now changed the wires, cap/rotor, and ignition module and the problem was still there. The next thing I need to check are the plugs, but they were replaced at the time of the rebuild. I keep wondering if I gapped a couple wrong or something. I'll keep the O2 thing in the back of my mind if the plugs look ok.
 
R

Rrich

New Member
Oct 19, 2004
184
0
0
Apr 26, 2007
#6
  • Apr 26, 2007
  • #6
Voice of Reason said:
I'm having the same problem after my rebuild 1500 miles ago so I'm glad to hear of a possible solution. Because they were still original to the car I've now changed the wires, cap/rotor, and ignition module and the problem was still there. The next thing I need to check are the plugs, but they were replaced at the time of the rebuild. I keep wondering if I gapped a couple wrong or something. I'll keep the O2 thing in the back of my mind if the plugs look ok.
Click to expand...

check the dizzy. i know my car is/was bucking really bad. the pip sensor was fried in the dizzy.
 
V

Voice of Reason

New Member
Jun 25, 2003
70
0
0
Spring, TX
Apr 27, 2007
#7
  • Apr 27, 2007
  • #7
I feel like a noob for asking this, but what's a pip? Searches for *pip and pip* aren't coming up with anything. Is it what Autozone is refering to as a pick-up coil?

http://www.autozone.com/images/hard_parts/wl2/wl2f123003.jpg

If so it's only $19 and I'll pick one up on the way home tonight to install this weekend.
 

1TallMF

New Member
Apr 17, 2006
955
1
0
Montreal
Apr 27, 2007
#8
  • Apr 27, 2007
  • #8
Voice of Reason said:
http://www.autozone.com/images/hard_parts/wl2/wl2f123003.jpg
Click to expand...


That is the beast. Its called Profile Ignition Pickup, some call it the pickup coil, some call it the crank trigger (but not as commonly). Its mounted inside the distributor. Chitty thing is you have to pull-off the distributor gear and shaft in order to take it out, so its a bit involved but not so bad if you have the right tools to do it.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

C
Engine Idle cuts out
  • claypoolxx
  • Mar 7, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
25
Views
990
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 24, 2026
alutwon
F
86 notch NEED HELP!!!!
  • foxbody86
  • Jul 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
130
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 9, 2026
Noobz347
M
Help! 2003 GT misfire when hot
  • Modular03
  • Feb 10, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
506
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Feb 13, 2026
Mustang5L5
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
441
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
B
More Issues With New Edge
  • Blackout67
  • May 3, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
22
Views
921
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 11, 2025
Blackout67
B
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?