Car makes a humming noise with light turns to the left at over45mph

32ValveRom

Feb 15, 2009
Fl
Hey guys, I have this problem with my car. When I'm moving atleast 45 mph and I turn the steering wheel a lil bit to the left for a curve or whatever I get this loud humming noise. When I turn the wheel to the right I hear nothing. I checked the ps fluid and it's fine.

Any help guys I'd greatly appreciate it.:)

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks guys this is a new one for me. Everyone else was telling me that I needed to replace the ps pump or the rack.

Have any of y'all had this problem? I noticed that the car has to be moving at speed in order to hear anything and it's only at left turns. I'll also feel a slight vibration from the steering wheel.

Jack the car up with the wheels free to turn/spin. press at 3 and 9 o'clock to see for movement... then do the same for 12 and 6.... that will tell you what ur issue is.

top to bottom movement, ball joint or hub assembly. left to right, tie rod end.

Check both sides, if one is bad and money allows, it wouldn't hurt to do both anyway for insurance as your going to need an alignment after its done.

Jack the car up with the wheels free to turn/spin. press at 3 and 9 o'clock to see for movement... then do the same for 12 and 6.... that will tell you what ur issue is.

top to bottom movement, ball joint or hub assembly. left to right, tie rod end.

Check both sides, if one is bad and money allows, it wouldn't hurt to do both anyway for insurance as your going to need an alignment after its done.

I'm not too sure if I understand what you mean by press at 3 and 9 o'clock.

Thanks guys this is a new one for me. Everyone else was telling me that I needed to replace the ps pump or the rack.

Have any of y'all had this problem? I noticed that the car has to be moving at speed in order to hear anything and it's only at left turns. I'll also feel a slight vibration from the steering wheel.

My Mustang was doing the same thing as your car , the loud humming noise is from a bad wheel bearing , when you turn to the left , your shifting more of the cars weight to the right (the side with the bad W/B) , when you turn to the right your taking weight off the bad wheel so it goes away , thats why it comes and goes like it does .

My wheel made alot of noise but was tight as a drum , no wobble , shaking , no in and out play , and still my wheel bearing was toast !

Really easy fix , look in the search, Type in Wheel Bearing Problem ? and you will find how to replace it in detail !
Heres the basic info , take your caliper/rotor off , remove small hub cap , remove 35mm nut , pull off hub/bearing , install new hub/bearing(its all one part) install new 35mm nut (20$ from ford) torque down to about 258 foot lbs , install small hub cap , but your brakes and wheel back on , all done , there is a little more to it then this , but not much , really easy job !

The wiggle test: (to make it more clear per the op's pm/request)

Jack car up. Place hands on the tire at the 3 and 9 (like on a clock) position. If it moves back and forth then you likely have a tie rod issue.

Next place your hands at the 12 and 6 positions (again, like on a clock) and do the same. If it moves here you have one of two issues, a ball joint or the bearing is bad. Now both car reasonably cheap and your right there so its not a terrible idea to replace both.

Most of the time when the bearing is bad it will make a clicking noise and be harder to spin the wheel.(freely that is when compared to the other side).