car moves without accelerator

xjrockx

Nov 1, 2018
florida
i currently have a 302/t5 out of a foxbody swapped into a 3 series bmw. i just swapped out the transmission as the old one was whining. i just got it all done and got the car off the ground to go through the gears and test out the new trans. everything seemed fine except i noticed with the car in gear and the clutch pedal pushed in the tires would spin. i put the car on the ground and with it in gear and the clutch pushed in its fine but as soon as i start to release the clutch the car will move forward without any gas which it did not do at all before. the old trans had a spec stage 1 clutch and had to have preload for it to go into gear. the new clutch is a king cobra style clutch and has no preload and will go into gear fine and actually gets more travel than the old clutch. the new trans is a 4 cylinder t5 and has brand new clutch,throw out bearing and pilot bearing and is a hydraulic setup instead of cable. is this fine and if not what should i do to fix it?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Agreed...I think the clutch isn't working right. Is there an agreement at the pedal to get more travel ? Seems like the throw out isn't moving far enough. It also could be air in the line.

Clutch pivot ball adjustment could be off as well. Without seeing how you adapted it to the car, can only speculate at this point.

But, clutch fully in...the transmission should not be moving at all. If it is, you likely have clutch drag due to the clutch not fully releasing

Sometimes when a car has both wheels in the rear off the ground the wheels will turn very slow with the clutch pressed in all the way. When is on the ground you shouldn't feel the car pull at all with the clutch all the way in. The clutch also shouldn't engage at the floor.