Car rides terrible, need help

jabGT

Mar 11, 2004
Michigan
Symptoms:

-constant vibration at all speeds (severe shaking at 50-60mph)
-car pulls all over the road, in both directions, seems to depend on road contours
-steering wheel shakes back and forth, steering overall feels sloppy
-front tires are cupped just on the very inside of the tread
-clunking in rear end when accelerating & turning corners
-rattling sound in transmission (manual) when let off gas & can hear a intermittent clanking sound when idling in neutral (transmission/bellhousing area)

What I've done so far

-have had tires rebalanced 4 times thus far since new tires and rims (about 9,000 miles ago) last time just yesterday, still no better. They used a road force machine also 2 of the 4 times.
-checked for bad front wheel bearings, tie rod ends, balljoints. No looseness or play in wheel.
-front struts seem to be alright.

Is it possible to have a bad rim, thats impossible to balance? Or don't these people know how to balance tires (Discount Tire)? Not to mention they chipped the @#$% out my rims.

Also have dry rot on inside of tires, is this normal with my mileage(9,000 on tires), or just p.o.s. tires?

Should I try an alignment next?

Any other suggestions?

I can't even stand to drive my car anymore. I feel like driving it into a brick wall when the steering wheel starts shaking and pulling arrrrgggh!

• Sponsors (?)

Don't know if this helps but I had a bad bounce at 40mph only and also when I come to a stop the front end likes to wander. I have heard this is called bump steer and theres a kit to fix that. It sounds to me like your wheels are out of balance, and your tires have dry rot @9,000 miles? Also anytime I get an alignment I always do a 4 wheel alignment. Good Luck.............

You have some issues. I don't think your getting any good advise from the current tire shop.

If your tires are cupped, there is no way to fix it unless you can find a place that still shaves tires, which I only know one around wher e I live and usually it still didn't solve the issue.

I think the first question to ask is "why are the tires cupping" Usually this is because of bad shocks/struts. Shocks/struts keep the tire's pressure constantly even on the road. They also widly effect ride and handling as well. Also check for loose front end parts.

Another reason for tire wear might as well be alignment as well as front end parts. That would explain the inner tire wear as well as the car wandering. Sounds like toe-out condition, but as well could be not enought caster and excessive negative camber. You might not be able to adjust the alignment into spec so camber/castor plates may be nessasary. Is your car lowered?

If you had a bent wheel, they should have told you.

The clunking and such is most likley a broken transmission mount, but the motor mounts can also cause a clunk, but that would be in the front. Bad U-joints can also cause issues, and the stock driveshaft may be out of balance.

The tires are probally bad. What kind are they. If you got cheapo's, take this as a lesson.

PS: What are the credentials of the "mechanics" there? ASE's???

90mustangGT said:
PS: What are the credentials of the "mechanics" there? ASE's???

There are no mechanics at discount tire. all they know are different tire sizes and how to mount and balance tires. One time when i had my car there, the shift linkage was broken and kept coming apart. well, the guy put the car up on the mini lift fine. time comes to drive away the car and the linkage broke. when this happens the shifter slides easily from 1-park and vice versa. well, he didnt know what was going on and i saw a few people gather around my car. after a bit, one of them came in to tell me my car had a problem. I was debating whether i should tell them that they broke it or that i knew it was broken. i ended up telling them i knew bout it and had to go fix it myself.

The tires are hankook ventus I think I paid $115-120 for them each. I thougt they were decent tires read an article about them in a magazine.

Yeah I can't stand people like that touching my car, but things like balancing tires and alignments I can't do myself. The guy that drove my car was so fat he blew a fuse to the power seat.

Thanks for the help

How many miles are on the car? First off even though the frontend stuff feels tight if there alot of miles then things need to be done. First off is the car lowered?
Do the tie rod ends.
Do the wheel bearings.
If car is lowered, do offset rack bushings at minimum.

I checked all the things above on my car and visually looked good and felt good but did them at 100k and cannot beleive the difference in drivability.