car shuts off and turns back on?

NotQuik

Founding Member
Oct 21, 2000
Central Florida
Car has been doing this since new distributor install and I think it's just coincidence....will be driving tach drops to zero and go to push in clutch car is running again? I was thinking TFI module after car is warm and issue is not consistent.....any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

yes it was and this is the 2nd one that's in teh car that's why I think it may be coincidence....I had a startor go back in my origonal dist. and replaced it and it was fine, but the bushing wore out and rotor was rubbing on the cap.

Sounds a lot like the module to me. Mine did that a few times as it was going bad. Cruising down the highway it would cut out for a second or less. By the time it registers in your head it has already refired and you can drive another hour or two without issue.

If you notice it not re-starting after being parked for 5-10 minutes then its no doubt the module getting heat soaked.

I would spend $40 for a new module first. The time to swap a dizzy costs much more.

Had the PIP in the dizzy you got been replaced?
The reman'd units will often have a second rollpin hole if the PIP was replaced upon taking the dizzy in as a core. If not, the PIP on that dizzy could be OEM.

That left out the part about the clutch because I didn't understand the reference (like if unloading the drivetrain was saving the car from stalling or you thought you had an issue regarding a clutch-switch opening or closing).

well, i still have my old dist. with the startor that I replaced in it....i'll try swapping that out and see how that goes since I know it's a "motorsport" part and I plan on replacing the tfi module just because i don't know whetehr this one has been replaced or not...i've had it tested and it was fine but no telling how it is when it's warm. As far as teh clutch thing, I would reach for it so I could possibly coast in neutral since I was driving when it was stall....nothing with unloading the drivetrain except being able to coast all the road if need be.

If you want, take the TFI in and have it repeatedly bench tested. It will get physically very hot after a couple of tests. The critical temp on TFI's is ~257*F.