Car sputtering/not running smooth

Hi,

Went out for a cruise last night with the local V8 rowdies and really wasn't satisfied with the way my Stang was running.

I put a new Edelbrock Manifold/600er Carb Combo on a few weeks back, and since then it's been sputtering a bit now and then. Here's my setup:

289/4 Speed Toploader
Pertronix I
Edelbrock Performer Manifold
600 CFM Edelbrock Carb (Manual choke is wired open at the moment)
New Fuel Pump
New Fuel Line between Pump and Carb
New Fuel Filter
Tank and Lines are 2-3 years old. Hoses are all new.

So here's the problem. If I accelerate, I have no problems at all. Also my Idle is no problem. If I am out cruising, and I let off the gas to, the car starts to "sputter" with it jerking a bit. If I step on the gas again, it goes away.

Also, when I put the manifold in I pulled the distributor to get it out of the way. Upon reinstalling, the oil pump shaft was off for some reason, and I ended up one cylinder further on the rotor than I should have been at TDC. Instead of pulling the oil pan and the oil pump to get the shaft lined up, I just moved the wires over one spot on the dist. cap to get things running. Shouldn't be a problem, but I thought I would mention it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Andy

• Sponsors (?)

This is just a thought, but is the idle too low? Also, it could need the floats adjusted.

I checked the floats before putting the carb in. Do you mean the carb idle or timing? I had a friend adjust both, which he did with a vacuum gauge. Kinda thought it was funny that he didn't use a timing light. I think it ran a bit better how I had adjusted it by ear after changing parts

Soooo...I was out cruisin and the son of a b#*%h started misfiring. Definately ignition problems, as it kept losing power all the way home.

I picked up a coil, set of plugs and plug wires and put em in. While changing the wires I found the culprit. Annoying what a difference a cheapo item can make.

The car drives like it just got a heart transplant. :D