car wont idle with the IAC unplugged,

aar0s

Founding Member
Dec 20, 1998
I was trying to bump my idle up using the method in the surging idle checklist and as soon as I unplug the IAC the car dies, it wont idle at 600 at all. I had a vacuum gauge on it at the time and was showing steady vac so im not suspecting a leak, what else could be causing this?

• Sponsors (?)

The base idle reset procedure is a big waste of time, its much easier to just turn the idle screw up a quarter turn with the engine off and negative battery cable disconnected to erase computer memory, much easier this way. The computer operates the air valve inside the iac via the iac's solenoid and when you disconnect the electrical signal the valve shuts off the extra air that keeps the engine idling, just turn the idle screw up, its not rocket science and when you change the idle, the tps voltage will change so you have to readjust the throttle position sensor, set it at .85 volts and your done.

I was trying to bump my idle up using the method in the surging idle checklist and as soon as I unplug the IAC the car dies, it wont idle at 600 at all. I had a vacuum gauge on it at the time and was showing steady vac so im not suspecting a leak, what else could be causing this?

Turn the screw 3-4 turns and try again. Keep turning the screw until you get a sustained idle with the IAC disconnected, and then set it according to the instructions in The Surging Idle Checklist.

I guess I mean, do I just do like most people ...loosen 2 screw then make sure volts are right and if not turn it a little till the volts are correct..am I right for adjsuting this, ive never done it or turned the screw on the IAC, but took the battery off when I put the headerrs on and every since the car had a bad idle...and all parts are new, IAC<MAF<TPSS...

turn the idle screw thats on the throttle body arm bracket, just follow the accelerator cable to the throttle body, the tb arm rests on the idle screw, turn the idle screw a little over a 1/4 turn, then loosen the tps screws and hook up the voltmeter to the green and black wire and any voltage between .60 and .98 is good. adjust the idle first then adjust tps and remove negative battery cable to erase computer memory.

got it, thanks.. gonna do a reset then actually adjust it. right now I am driving around with the MAf unplugged .. so i will reset it all then crank and let it idle for a few mins, then set it all... sound good???