Car Won't Start (with video)

LightningWhite

Aug 2, 2007
I drive a 91 Mustang GT, EFI and after I got off of work last night I went to start the car and nothing. It did the same thing to me a few weeks ago, but this time I've had no luck in fixing it. At first I thought fuel pump because I couldn't hear it come on. Then when it did come on it would crank, but at idle it would drop down in rpms, then catch itself and shoot up, then drop down again and die. I tried to start it again this morning and the fuel pump would come on, but nothing besides what happens in the video. Also as of right now I have no way to check to see if it has spark or fuel pressure. Another thing is that it is my daily driver, so I start the car normally about 6 times a day. No problems until now. Any ideas on to what the problem might be? here is the video from this morning:

video

• Sponsors (?)

What I would do is get a can of starting fluid and spray a little into the throttlebody. Then try to start it. If it starts or sputters then is in not getting any fuel. If it just cranks without trying to start chances are it is the TFI module on the distributor.

Well I had my mom and sister bring me another vehicle, since it is my only one car. About a two hour drive (about 100 miles), after they leave I decide well let's try and start the car. Does exactly what it has been doing in the video. Play with the coil and the plug that goes into the TFI module (I think), try again and it fires right up. No problems whatsoever, cut the car off and it fires up about the next 5 times or so I tried it without any hesitation. Hate they had to drive 2 hours to get here and 2 hours back just to bring a vehicle that mine fired right up after they left. But I plan on replacing everything with the ignition besides the distributor cap. It's the only piece that is aftermarket, MSD, other than that I'm gonna replace everything. Thanks for the help guys.

I had a TFI module cause me fits one time. I was new to the stang and it would run for a few minutes then die. I got the module tested and it showed fine. However when it would get hot it would not start or run. I spent a fortune for new coil, plugs, wires, distributor pickup, and even a new speed density computer. Still had the same problem. I decided the TFI module was the only thing I had not replaced. Bought a new one and it worked perfect. Your problem could have been a bad connection but for the $40 or so I would get a new module anyway for piece of mind and you'll have a spare if it was just a bad connection.