Cat Delete And The State Of Texas

• Sponsors (?)

As a licensed inspector for The State of Texas, I can tell you that all cars and pickups 1984 or newer must have catalytic converters to pass the annual inspection. There is no gray area, and the only way to exempt yourself from inspection is to wait until the car is eligible for antique plates (5 more years, and antique plates restrict how and when you can use the car), and that still doesn't exempt you from federal laws against emission system tampering.

I'm not from Texas but I'm curious. How does the state with in on longtubes with catted mids? It is not the factory cat setup but it is nonetheless a converter system. Especially in cars with some age that may have need the original converters replaced due to efficiency or damage.

As a licensed inspector for The State of Texas, I can tell you that all cars and pickups 1984 or newer must have catalytic converters to pass the annual inspection. There is no gray area, and the only way to exempt yourself from inspection is to wait until the car is eligible for antique plates (5 more years, and antique plates restrict how and when you can use the car), and that still doesn't exempt you from federal laws against emission system tampering.

In Texas, and I have a 90 with no cats and haven't had a problem once it turned 25.

In Texas, and I have a 90 with no cats and haven't had a problem once it turned 25.
That doesn't matter. The law states all cars 1984 and newer must have them to pass. The fact that you've been fortunate enough to find inspectors who can't be bothered to do their job doesn't make it legal.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not from Texas but I'm curious. How does the state with in on longtubes with catted mids? It is not the factory cat setup but it is nonetheless a converter system. Especially in cars with some age that may have need the original converters replaced due to efficiency or damage.
If it has cats it passes so long as the factory smog gear remains functional.

I had a friend when I was stationed in TX would just pop the factory H pipe back in, go do the test and swap the o/r pipe back in after. Shouldn't take that long to do. I kept my ex's car registered to FL