catalyst converter question

• Sponsors (?)

svttech76 said:
yes but this is easly fixed by using mil elims or having the cat monitor turned off by tuning software.

I got a question about MIL's. I put them on my car (3-4 years ago) when I put my pro-chamber on and have been wondering something ... Do they make it where the ECU will not throw ANY check engine codes? Or is it just emissions related? Reason I ask is because when my intake manifold cracked and blew coolant everywhere, it didn't throw a code. Then again, I cut the car off almost immediately .....

mils just stop the rear cat's codes. Does NJ have a sniffer test? Visually you won't pass either.

When my intake cracked, there was no code until the back left spark plug got saturated with coolent and caused a missfire. Drove around awhile before i noticed.

DTNODYA said:
I got a question about MIL's. I put them on my car (3-4 years ago) when I put my pro-chamber on and have been wondering something ... Do they make it where the ECU will not throw ANY check engine codes? Or is it just emissions related? Reason I ask is because when my intake manifold cracked and blew coolant everywhere, it didn't throw a code. Then again, I cut the car off almost immediately .....

the mil elims only make it so the pcm thinks the cats are operating. all other EEC funtions will be normal and you will get a check engine light if another fault occurs.

cracking your intake and loosing the coolant will only set a CEL once the engine starts to overheat.

svttech76 said:
the mil elims only make it so the pcm thinks the cats are operating. all other EEC funtions will be normal and you will get a check engine light if another fault occurs.

cracking your intake and loosing the coolant will only set a CEL once the engine starts to overheat.

Well, when the intake cracked, it literally blew the sensor/sender (whichever is on that side) clean out of the intake. It was rediculous and very messy but like I said, I shut it down before it had a chance to throw a code ...

That makes sense though. :nice:

On another note, if you don't run cats, be ready for a horrible fuel smell combined with noxious fumes...why not run some high flow cats instead? If you do, get the metal substrate 200 cell, they last longer then ceramic cats