Catastrophic Head Gasket Failure

• Sponsors (?)

Like everything else, it's a waiting game. I don't mind the work. I was going to pull the engine to clean up the engine bay, and put the K-member in anyway. But getting it back together quickly just isn't realistic when you are waiting on machinist and custom parts.

Kurt

Yeah, I'm running old Canfield 192cc heads, which have a very decent deck thickness, although I can't remember exactly what it is off the top of my head. The last time I blew a head gasket, my heads were perfectly straight. I'm running O-ringed heads, so I am relegated to a stock style head gasket. I'm going to go ahead and pull the engine out to change the K-member. It's so much easier to take apart the engine on a stand. Unfortunately, my engine hoist and stand are on an almost permanent borrow to a friend who is taking forever to change out the engine in his POS 86' Beamer. I have ARP head studs on this engine.

Kurt

Its not on permanent borrow and my BMW is not a POS. Talk smack about someone who doesnt own an SN95. I know were you live!:nono:

Breaking them is a drag....:( Fear not...Ed will come thru...I waited a month and now have my cam in hand. Gotta get my azz in gear or I'll be wtg another year to build this thing. I just swapped intakes to and Eddy RPM ........ theres another 325.00 down the tubes.

I have to build one and yank the other out...oh the joy.... Sounds like yours will be worth the wait.

Any insight on installing the ARP studs?? Thats what I have, Heard some have had leak problems??? You TQ in the same manner??

Just put thread sealer on the studs before you screw them into the block, and they shouldn't leak. Make sure the studs are screwed all the way in. It's not any different then bolts really, they just make it easier.

Kurt

What happens is that they don't seal the studs on the bottom. The water creeps up from the bottom, all the way to the top, and through the threads on the top. It's pretty common if you don't install them correctly. With a head bolt, the water will climb up into the head, but it gets sealed by the gasket on the bottom, and sealed again at the top by the head of the bolt. So, it is leaking, but you don't notice.

Kurt