Ceramic and anti friction coatings

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
Who has experience with ceramic coatings on pistons, combustion chambers and anti friction coatings on the sides of the pistons?
A long time ago, Hot Rod tested DIY bake on coatings for pistons etc. (I am not meaning the latest paint protectant.) They compared how long it took to melt the faces of an untreated and a treated piston with a cutting torch. I think the back side of the treated piston eventually melted, but not the face.
In my latest engine build, I have a professionally applied ceramic heat coating to the new pistons and reshaped and oversized valved combustion chambers. My idea is to keep the heat working then send it out the exhaust rather than build up on the parts or in the cooling system, so I can have more advanced ignition timing, cooler temp and less pinging, or at least have an easier time running cheaper gas with the C/R.
It’s going to be a while until the rest of the car is ready for the engine, so I am wondering if anyone can give feedback from their experiences with the products.

• Sponsors (?)

It’s beginning to look like I have the test subject for street use and will have to report on the results. I’m thinking that for forced induction applications, keeping the heat out of pistons would be a very good thing.

Reactions: 1 user
it's been used for a very long time in different applications. Fuel cars for example and aircraft & military applications.

For sportsman racers, the amount of money that it costs usually isn't worth the 2 hp increase, but if you're after every last bit of power it's worth looking at. For instance, 10hp on a daily driven hot rod is negligible given the cost but 10hp in a cup car is just about good as gold. Another good example is pro stock 500" engines. They all make about the same power weigh the same and run within a few hundredths ET. If someone comes up with a 10hp advantage and runs 2 mph faster, two things will likely happen: NHRA will figure out how to outlaw it and there will be winners.

I am planning on about doubling the power in this engine, so it did not seem like a splurge if it wold help longevity, air cooling limits, or help avoid pinging. I’ll let you know how it seems to work.
The long post on intercooling types and why made me wonder if this was a part of a good turbo or supercharger plan. This is going to be carbureted and NA, for now. But EFI and a small, efficient turbo are not out of the question.