Ceramic coating stuff

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
So what sort of condition do exhaust parts need to be in to have them coated?

I’ve had my Stainless BBK headers for 20 years. They seal up fine, done leak, and generally get the job done. But they are ugly and throw off heat. They have surface rust, so I painted them black with high temp header paint.

Can these be coated like this? Or do they need to be blasted? I’ll likely replace the hardware as well.

B91ECFE5-FC37-4AB9-9EA3-51F5667A61CB.jpeg

Or am I better off buying new stuff

CC721B35-C4A7-41CC-B465-A26C27D39860.png

• Sponsors (?)

If you have a reputable place near you, I would trust the coating over a new set. They will need to be striped clean, my advice is just do the outside the inside will just peel and go through your cats. The last time I had my tails done after they were run he did the inside too. Im sure he did it to make more money, I was less then happy with him. Everyone likes shiny pipe!

Long tubes!!! Slap some news in man, you just took the time to pop in those sweet new heads and valve covers. Freshen those babies up. I opted to possibly run my old Mac shortys to which I contemplated running new ones bc I swapped in the heads and covers. In the end they leaked and had to end up removing them, and luckily found my set of basically new but used bc they were mounted and mocked but didn’t fit on the guys car due to the t56 and got the bbk ceramic coated long tubes for 200 bucks bc he just wanted them gone.

Reactions: 1 user
Send them to Jet-Hot. That's who Ford used for their headers. I have a set I bought used about 13 years ago. They will not discolor. They do lose some of their shine.

The BBK ceramic coated ones are $300. Buy new, sell the old.

I have a buddy that does ceramic coating. He does powder coating, but ceramic is in that umbrella. It's not as muc has you've mentioed above. Keep calling around, it is very much worth it.

Also, Katie Osborne is a stone cold fox. I follow her on IG. Definitely disappointed when I clicked your picture expecting a video :(

• Haha
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users
I’ll look around for a local place to see if they can do it.

Jet hot was $350 plus my shipping costs to them. They also had reservations about the condition of my headers. So it may not be worth coating them. They are solid though...just surface rust.

Jet hot is nuts! Maybe its because of the metropolitan Detroit area and it's some what competitive since so many shops do the coating. But I would estimate those would be $150 or less to coat outside only, hell some might do inside outside for that price I'm just estimating. They would not care about rust as they would sand blast them clean as long as they dont blow holes in them.
Scott

For comparison if I remember right these were $250 for both left and right. This was inside and outside. As I stated earlier was not real happy with the inside coating as the car was already run and the mufflers were full of those damn polishing bb's.
Obviously the last 18" is stainless and was not coated.
20160409_095340.jpg
20160409_095335.jpg
20160409_095335.jpg

• Winner
I had a set of ceramic coated headers on my saleen explorer.
Something about the finish that I just didn't like, especially as it aged and they lost their luster.
I'm unsure if there really is performance benefit of ceramic coating, but visually i'd rather be looking at a high quality set of Stainless headers.

I think the ceramic coating is more for heat than appearance.

I know my current headers get hot as hell after a long drive and am looking to ceramic coat in an effort to reduce that heat.

My experience:
When I had two Foxbodys at once, one had Ford Racing ceramic shorties and the other BBK ceramic shorties. The BBK were much nicer pieces. When it came time to sell one set and keep one I kept the BBK's and they are still on the car now. Excellent product.
Jet Hot:
I got a set of oem Fox valve covers jet hot coated. Outside only. It cost me $85.

I'd either do new BBK or find a better deal on coating.