Changing My fuel LIne Please Help!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I replaced mine with 3/8 inch steel line. I almost broke my tubing bender trying to bend it under the car. Just be careful when you bend that you dont kink your aluminum. It should be a lot easier though.

Also take care with the clamps to ensure you don't crush or flatten the line because the aluminum is so much softer.

I just followed the path of the old line which ran next to the rear brake line through the tunnel. I replaced some of the clamps and used 1/4-20 bolts J-B welded to the top of floorboard so the stud stuck through the bottom. It worked great.

If you haven't already, spray some wd-40 or some penetrating fluid around the bolts for the clamps holding the fuel line. Let them set for alittle while and it'll be alot easier to get them off. I'm in the process of changing my brake line running from the distro block to the rear axle and it's being a P.I.T.A.

If you haven't already purchased the fuel line, I would suggest you buy the prebent line for your car. I purchased stainless steel 3/8" line and it was a perfect fit. A lot less hassle and it will never rust. I think you will need to flare the ends of the aluminum to attach to rubber hose at the tank and pump or attach special AN fittings.

Keep in mind that if you are doing this for performance, you are wasting your time unless you have a 500hp serious motor. Stock 5/16 line feeds my 450hp 347.

If you are just replacing old line junky line for a stock engine, you might consider just replacing it with the stock size unless you plan on upgrading your engine.

I have two benders. One that hooks the tubing on one end and you pull it around by hand(very cheep). The second one has a hinged part that replaces your hand puling the tubing around. I like the cheep one best. Keeping the tubing in the 3/8 slot as you bend it will keep it from kinking. I put the old gas line on the floor and just copied it.
I'll add there is nothing wrong with more expensive bender(20 bucks). I had just gotten used to the cheep one.