Charging Issues.

Hello. I have an 89 vert 5.0. 2 months ago my alternator died. I replaced and charged the battery. good for well over a month.

2 weeks ago dead. today I had time to look at it. charged battery got it started. volt Guage was high at idle. Rev it and it would spike and trigger the volt dash light. and two hours later the alternator is extremely hot still.

Voltage regulator? alternator shot?

Also is this related to my tachometer acting crazy for over a year? at times it just sits at 4 k.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Sponsors (?)

Let me ask a couple questions, any mods like underdrive pullies, electric fan, stuff like that. First guess thinking you found it dead in driveway is a drain with key off. Its possible you have a defective alternator, there is/was a problem with wiring at alt plug on some fox's, my 89 gt actually cought fire at the plug, freaked my girlfriend out.

I am pretty sure the regulator is built into or onto the alt. First take the alt back and have it checked. You may have a light that does not go out, glove box, interior light, you can pull the negative cable off and see if it makes a spark when you touch it back, a very small spark may happen if you have a radio with memory may not even be noticeable. unplug hood light, make sure no interior lights are on.
Don't think this has anything to do with tach.