chassis clunk, help diagnose?

notchnut

Founding Member
Mar 6, 2001
New England
I will do my best to describe this:

I just installed MM LCA's and while I was in there I ensured that the uppers were torqued correctly. Everything seems legit under there. My car only has 21k on it so the undercarriage is pretty clean and strait.

when i turn (notice it more on left turns than right) I hear this slight clunk comming from under the car on the passenger side. for the life of me I cannot isolate it. There is something loose or play in something I just cannot find it. Any ideas's?

I'm having my full length subs installed next week, maybe while we are under there we can ispect it better but this is a good one.

Also maybe unrelated but maybe not. When in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed if I move the shifter back and forth betwenn 1st and 2nd I can feel a clunking in the rear. Is that normal? In all my T5 and Tremec experience I've never felt it before.

• Sponsors (?)

Check the tightness of the bolts holding the sway bar to the LCAs. Lots and lots of force on these during a turn when the body leans.

Another idea: Jack the car up at the rear and check the axle play. You may need to remove the wheels and unbolt the brake calipers to get a good idea of this. Perhaps you've got C-clip issues and the axle(s) are moving and clunking under lateral loads...

Check the tightness of the bolts holding the sway bar to the LCAs. Lots and lots of force on these during a turn when the body leans.

Another idea: Jack the car up at the rear and check the axle play. You may need to remove the wheels and unbolt the brake calipers to get a good idea of this. Perhaps you've got C-clip issues and the axle(s) are moving and clunking under lateral loads...

I just checked the sway bar bolts the other day, I went through after the LCA install and checked everything to make sure everything was tight. The slight clunk I'm hearing has been around since before the LCA's (I was actually hoping they would solve it). Today I noticed it sounds like it's comming from the passenger floor area. I really hope it's not the C-clips, I'll check that this weekend. Thanks

for the sound in the right front.. maybe its your sway bar links?

with the trans sound... is the car moving? or are you sitting still?

The trans sound or drivetrain clunk will happen when I'm just sitting at idle but usually under a slight load, meaning If you were waiting at a stop sign thats on a upward or downward slope, with your a foot on the brake and one on the clutch, moving the shifter back and forth between 1st and 2nd you will hear and feel a slight clunk.

My car does the same thing between 1st and 2nd and I wish I knew what it was!!. I also always have the slight suspension clunk that you speak of. I have almost replaced everything and the noise does not go away. I have new cobra front lower control arms(with ball joints), Steeda sport springs with new oem insulators, new poly sway bar links and bushings, new tie rod ends, new front wheel bearing assemblies, poly rack bushings. In the rear: New oem UCA's, new UCA diff bushings, MM LCA's, new quad shocks and new axel bearings. With all of those new parts, my suspension is still clunky. If you figure out a fix please let me know.

notchnut

Hard to say what your clunking is with out hearing it.

As far as your clunking from 1st to second, it's pretty normal in these cars. Mine does it certain times, so do most of the other new edges I've driven from time to time. if it really worries you, check your clutch adjustment. If your clutch is draggin slightly then the clutch stops spinning when you shift to first, starts spinning again while in neutral during the gear shift then is brought to a halt when put engaging second, resulting in a a slight clunk.