• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Cheap gas or bad oxygen sensor?

  • Thread starter Thread starter OpalFrostStang
  • Start date Start date May 10, 2006
O

OpalFrostStang

New Member
May 10, 2006
0
0
0
Lakeland, Florida
May 10, 2006
#1
  • May 10, 2006
  • #1
Has anyone else had problems lately with their "check engine" light coming on after fueling up? I've had my 96 GT since March (and I love it) and never had this problem until a few weeks ago immediately after fueling up at a local RaceTrac. My local Auto Zone put it on their analyzer and said it was a bad oxygen sensor, but added that they had been swamped with customers with the same problem (and not just Mustangs) since oil prices went through the roof and bad fuel started showing up on the market.
Thinking I probably just had a bad tank of gas, I immediately added a bottle of fuel system cleaner/octane booster. A day and a half later, the light turned off while driving to work. Yesterday, while driving to work it came on again (I'm still on that same tank of RaceTrac gas). The GT seems to be driving fine, although it doesn't start as cleanly as it did when I first bought it. So what do you think; just bad fuel or do I really need to put some cash into one or more new oxygen sensors?
 
G

GT02MG

New Member
Dec 11, 2004
49
0
0
MD
May 10, 2006
#2
  • May 10, 2006
  • #2
Nope....but I have had a problem with my wallet after I fill up
 
O

OpalFrostStang

New Member
May 10, 2006
0
0
0
Lakeland, Florida
May 10, 2006
#3
  • May 10, 2006
  • #3
It's not my old Nissan...

True; I knew I'd take a serious hit to the MPG when I sold my 200SX and bought my 96 GT, but on my only road trip so far I averaged 27mpg and so far I'm averaging 16-17 in the city (where I do most of my driving). I can live with that; especially knowing what I'm driving.
 
G

GT02MG

New Member
Dec 11, 2004
49
0
0
MD
May 10, 2006
#4
  • May 10, 2006
  • #4
OpalFrostStang said:
True; I knew I'd take a serious hit to the MPG when I sold my 200SX and bought my 96 GT, but on my only road trip so far I averaged 27mpg and so far I'm averaging 16-17 in the city (where I do most of my driving). I can live with that; especially knowing what I'm driving.
Click to expand...

same here I do good considering its a V8 and all
 
O

OpalFrostStang

New Member
May 10, 2006
0
0
0
Lakeland, Florida
May 11, 2006
#5
  • May 11, 2006
  • #5
Would an administrator please move this to "Tech" where I should have posted it. Still looking for some insight regarding my "check engine" light.
Thanks.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
01 mustang 3.8 fuel pressure issue
  • Mhaley2006
  • May 29, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
381
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 9, 2026
JohnKay
J
I
Engine Help requested in identifying how to resolve engine light issue
  • Ianslaney
  • Sunday at 2:23 PM
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
67
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Sunday at 2:40 PM
Bullitt347
S
Need help asap
  • shaggyman65
  • Dec 24, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
292
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Dec 24, 2025
shaggyman65
S
C
Electrical Fuel Gauge...Help! What did I do or Didn't Do?
  • ChickenDeluxe
  • Sep 3, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
176
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 3, 2026
ChickenDeluxe
C
B
Electrical Why does my fox body keep frying eecs
  • brandyn200
  • Jun 20, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
399
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 25, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?