Cheapest way to get 30-40 more HP out of a GT....

Mr.Guitar

Sep 12, 2004
Getting 30-40 more HP out of a GT....

When I get my GT (most likely in '06) I want to do some light modifications. I would like to squeeze an extra 30-40 HP out of it. What would be the easiest and most cost effective way to do this?

• Sponsors (?)

This might be a better question to ask closer to when you buy it next year....by then more people will have experience with them, and more aftermarket companies will have mods for the new stang. Although, I think that generally when trying to squeeze some more power out of stock vehicles without going into too much modification, you should get less restrictive parts, I.E. Intake, exhaust, maybe a new chip, etc.

Mr.Guitar said:
When I get my GT (most likely in '06) I want to do some light modifications. I would like to squeeze an extra 30-40 HP out of it. What would be the easiest and most cost effective way to do this?

reflash the computer ive read 25rwhp gains from that alone!! bump the timing and lean it out a bit its pig rich!! then maybe a cai and less restrictive mufflers should do it!!

slegos888stang said:
reflash the computer ive read 25rwhp gains from that alone!! bump the timing and lean it out a bit its pig rich!! then maybe a cai and less restrictive mufflers should do it!!
You would not believe how rich it is. I bought mine on Thursday of last week and can smell/see how rich it is. You don't need a wide band to see that. I think a tune will work wonders (or a C&L to lean it out a bit).

Here is what I am going to do when I get mine and i think the numbers are realistic from what I have read so far:

SCT reflash---20HP
Steeda pullies--7HP
Exhaust--------5HP
Intake---------10HP

That adds up to 42 additional ponies and I think those numbers are realistic at the wheels from what I have read not at the motor. So being that it seems ford may have under rated the Horsepower on this car we should easily be able to state with these Mods that we have a 350 HP car!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

hey, i'm very new to the forums and to the mustang in general, just got an 05 GT last week after having been into imports for years. I don't plan on doing a lot of performance mods to the car because I got in so far over my head with my last car, but I'm very interested in finding out some more info on getting the ECU reflashed. Does anyone know of a company doing this yet? Or when such a thing will be available? That plus an intake is probably all I'll be doing to the stang. Thanks for any info.

Try www.sctflash.com, this is for the superchips tuner to my knowledge. I am sure some other vendors will carry this also. Along with a reflash though, you should definitely consider a cold-air intake, these will be inexpensive enough and good for about 10HP extra I think. The exhausts mods are mainly for sound but should get you about 5HP to the wheel from what I have read.

wonder if anyone will make a Corvette/ls1 style airbox at the very front of the car. might be better to have a ram air type effect with a straight shot into the car vs the bends frim the factory location.

Not sure if they have enough room for it though..

tjones2 said:
Here is what I am going to do when I get mine and i think the numbers are realistic from what I have read so far:

SCT reflash---20HP
Steeda pullies--7HP
Exhaust--------5HP
Intake---------10HP

That adds up to 42 additional ponies and I think those numbers are realistic at the wheels from what I have read not at the motor. So being that it seems ford may have under rated the Horsepower on this car we should easily be able to state with these Mods that we have a 350 HP car!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
at the engine, its more like reflash-25, pullies-3 to 5, exhaust-5, intake 7-10...but all combined probly only 30-35. thats still almost 350, and just over 300 at the wheels