checking for codes

tim_lemmy

Dec 13, 2007
is there any way i can check for codes w/o spending 50+ dollars to have a mechanic do it? on my old firebird all i had to do was plug a paper clip in a couple of the fuse slots and it would start spitting codes out. is there a trick like this with these cars or am i just gonna have to suck it up and go have it done? thanks for the help
Blake

• Sponsors (?)

I do have a CEL so when i put the paper clip in bottom left slot (with the narrow end on bottom) i turn my key to the on position and then count flashes, right? and thanks again

It's not working i put the paper clip in the slot mentioned above and i get nothing. the light comes on but it doesn't flash. am i doing something wrong or forgetting something?

these are the numbers i pulled. i don't know how to decifer codes so here are the numbers as they came out
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 7
2 1 8 6 3 3 2 5 4
2 1 7 2 1 8 6 3 3
2 5 4 2
I'm assuming that
1 7 2 1 8 6 3 3 2 5 4 2
are my codes because it repeats
so my codes are either
17, 21, 86, 33, 25, 42
or
172, 186, 332, 542
thanks jimmy w/o your help i would've bought something i don't need

code 17 has nothing to do with my motor since it's not a 1.7 or a 2.5 so i'm gonna ass/u/me it's 3 digit codes for now
172 Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean - Single, Right or Rear HO2S - Fuel control
186 Injector pulse width longer than expected or Mass Air Flow (MAF) lower than expected - Fuel control
332 EGR did not open/respond during test or if memory code, did not open intermittantly - EVR or PFE
542 Fuel pump open, bad ground or always on

all of these are fuel system related but the last one especially could explain the bad gas mileage. any tips on how to fix this stuff?