cleaning MAF

• Sponsors (?)

You need to open it up enough to see the tiny wires ;)

If it is very dirty ... you can actually see a coating on them :(

These wires are very fragile :Word:
so
If you use a q-tip or touch them in any way :shrug:

Be Careful :)

Grady

I like to use electrical contact cleaner as well. If that doesnt cut it, then something stronger is used, but then a residue-free product (contact cleaner) is used again as a last step. You wanna leave those wires with no coating (from your chosen product).

TB cleaner can work.

Good luck.

Is carb cleaner a residual free product? That's what I use annually (suggested by a Ford tech not that that necessarily means anything) but also have a spray can of electrical cleaner in the cupboard.

I like to use electrical contact cleaner as well. If that doesnt cut it, then something stronger is used, but then a residue-free product (contact cleaner) is used again as a last step. You wanna leave those wires with no coating (from your chosen product).

TB cleaner can work.

Good luck.

Agreed :nice:

I've always been able to get those little wires real clean with the
cleaner as JT speaks of here

I also agree its good to use cause it was made for just an
application such as this one

Grady

Is carb cleaner a residual free product? That's what I use annually (suggested by a Ford tech not that that necessarily means anything) but also have a spray can of electrical cleaner in the cupboard.

Just the little I know (or think I do):
Carb cleaner is very aggressive as we know. It can leave oil on the surface and the stuff back-in-the-day often had MEK in it. Plus carb cleaners (even these days) can eat certain plastics. So can some brake cleaners though too.

The contact cleaners are designed specifically not to leave residue and are mild enough to generally not eat plastic (though they can).

I wanna add a bit more info about those tiny wires :)

Don 95Vert did a post a good while back so I wanted to give him
credit for this I'm a fixin to share here :D

Those tiny wires heat up and the airflow cools them down
to give the pcm the info about the airflow through the motor
in voltage values.

They are sand blasted to make them exactly the size as needed
to give an accurate reading.

Should be obvious to all reading this ...
a Very precise kind of thing is going on here :Word:

The last thing you would wanna do is use some kind of caustic
cleaning solution that would remove any material or mass from
those little, tiny wires :nono:

Just a thought from an old hick in Texas who found a laptop :shrug:

Grady

That's an interesting point Mr Grady. :nice:

And your better parts stores will have it too. There's also a dedicated MAF cleaner out there (I once looked at the ingredients - it looked very similar to Contact cleaner as I recall).
Do you know if there is a coating on the wires (which we have all now since eaten off)? Or are the wires raw platinum (or whatever unobtanium they happen to be)? I always thought they were raw but this seemed like a nice time to ask. :nice:

There's also a dedicated MAF cleaner out there (I once looked at the ingredients - it looked very similar to Contact cleaner as I recall).

ya know they make MAF cleaner now they have it at advance

:)

Thanks Grady. :nice:
I saw NO reason why they'd coat the wires myself - it seemed to me that it would only hinder readings. But every once in a while I'm surprised (like with breathing O2 wiring :eek: ).