• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Cleaning Stock Rims

  • Thread starter Thread starter mannymendez25
  • Start date Start date Mar 8, 2015
M

mannymendez25

Member
Feb 12, 2015
35
16
18
Mar 8, 2015
#1
  • Mar 8, 2015
  • #1
I did my first partial detail on my 92 convertible. While cleaning the rims, I noticed they looked stained as what I thought was dirt, was not coming off. What is the best way to get these rims looking better other than painting them?
 

Attachments

  • 20150307_170550.webp
    55.3 KB · Views: 293

madspeed

Colonel Mustard
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
8,913
1,332
204
a van down by the river
Mar 8, 2015
#2
  • Mar 8, 2015
  • #2
try something stronger that is designed for wheels. I personnaly use Adams Deep Wheel Cleaner
 
M

mannymendez25

Member
Feb 12, 2015
35
16
18
Mar 9, 2015
#3
  • Mar 9, 2015
  • #3
I just ordered the Adams Deep Wheel Cleaner you suggested via Amazon. A bit pricey but if it works, I'm good with that. Thanks for the recommendation.
 

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
20+ Year Stangneter
Aug 10, 2002
9,457
1,377
234
Ontario, Canada
Mar 9, 2015
#4
  • Mar 9, 2015
  • #4


Spray on
Let sit for 30-seconds
Scrub wheel
Hose off
Wax wheel
Pimp Ride!!!
 

NOS1543

Member
Nov 11, 2014
78
15
18
Mar 9, 2015
#5
  • Mar 9, 2015
  • #5
I'd be very careful and make sure you use something specifically designed for wheels.

I can't be 100% sure, but..

I always used Mothers or Meguiars wheel cleaners on my pony wheels and thought both brands did a pretty good job--some scrubbing required, but overall satisfactory.

Then I ran out of wheel cleaner and figured just used a degreaser. It seemed to work better than the wheel cleaner ever did. I sprayed it on the tires as well and it got all the old tire wet to come off as well.

However, I noticed after a few times that it looked like the paint was starting to fade badly on the center caps. I haven't done anything different so I'm almost positive it's due to my choice of harsh cleaner.

Not all wheel cleaners are the same either. They have different ph levels for different finishes. I'd stick to a product designed for the finish of the wheel you have.

Let us know what you think of the Adams...always good to find a good product.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,325
18,049
224
Massachusetts
Mar 10, 2015
#6
  • Mar 10, 2015
  • #6
i always thought simple green did an excellent job with my pony wheels....when I had them
 

madspeed

Colonel Mustard
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
8,913
1,332
204
a van down by the river
Mar 10, 2015
#7
  • Mar 10, 2015
  • #7
The Adams stuff is incredible I do wish thetrigger sent out a bit thicker foam, but they may have addressed that with the new bottles/triggers they now have. Wait till you see how much stuff comes off. Take a before, during, and after pic
 

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
Mar 11, 2015
#8
  • Mar 11, 2015
  • #8
The best tire and wheel cleaner was Bleach White, but it is not for use on alluminum wheels. Read the label and scrub are very good pieces of advice.
 

madspeed

Colonel Mustard
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
8,913
1,332
204
a van down by the river
Mar 14, 2015
#9
  • Mar 14, 2015
  • #9
7991LXnSHO said:
The best tire and wheel cleaner was Bleach White, but it is not for use on alluminum wheels.
Click to expand...


Therfore, NOT the best tire and wheel cleaner
 

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
Mar 14, 2015
#10
  • Mar 14, 2015
  • #10
No, therefore read the instructions to make sure it is compatible with your wheels. (If you have steel, chrome, paint or plastic it still kicks crud off more quickly than anything else.)
 

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
7,387
2,745
194
Kearney, NE
Mar 14, 2015
#11
  • Mar 14, 2015
  • #11
I know the OP said 92, but not all Fox body Mustangs had pony wheels. The factory chrome spokes on my 79 were styling, just like a Bonneville.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
Rim suggestions
  • mason5.0
  • Sep 3, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
13
Views
289
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 9, 2026
Qtrhrse23
M
2001 SVT Cobra Decision Time
  • Mec
  • Aug 13, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
5
Views
160
The Welcome Wagon Aug 14, 2026
nickyb
L
Engine 85 GT Excessive Idle
  • lutzkecj
  • Sep 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
194
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 21, 2026
86HO5.0
8
Drivetrain Broken clutch cable- what it looks like
  • JulianR
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
632
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 10, 2026
gkomo
Cyber Truck tried to race me!
  • MKatzenbach
  • Sep 5, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
14
Views
365
2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk Sep 8, 2026
gkomo
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?