Clearanced Valve Covers

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
Cincinnati area
A few of you have been following my frustration in getting valve covers to fit over roller rockers. I originally thought mine were 1.6 but the documentation I have shows 1.7 rockers.

Anyways, I clearanced out some stockers then had them powder coated. Looks black but its actually a very dark grey. Here are some pics so you can get an idea of what I had to grind out to get them to fit. Hope it helps!

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

It wasn't easy. Went from trying a dremel to a hack saw to a few other methods.....easiest method was...

Drilling out the bosses, then coming back with an air grinder and 3" cutting blade and just going to town on them. Still took about 4 hours with 2 people working on them.

Considering I wasn't sure what other options I'd have, I think it was well worth the effort!

just an fyi... i did the same thing and you will have to fab up a baffle or you will be blowing alot of oil out...

My last set of VC's had no baffle so I have been blowing oil for a long time. I've got a separator already made up. :shrug:

thanks for the pics, I'll have to get a nice grinder and go to town.

ps. have you ran yours in the 1/4?

No prob man....get your hands on a junk yard cover and practice....that's what I did. I got one from a friend for free. Mastered the technique and was good to go!

Haven't run the 1/4 in mine. The previous owner said it ran 12's....but that is just myth until I can do it.

My car is more built for road racing....has pretty much every suspension part you can bolt on except for coil overs. No....I haven't done any road racing in it either yet.

Hoping to hit the 1/4 at least one trip this year and plenty of shows. I can't take credit, I bought the car with most of the mods except for the cleaning and powdercoating under the hood. Oh, and most of the time I've had it has been spent fixing oil leaks etc.

But I have about 8k into it, and its insured for 14k....so I can't lose. :D

No prob man....get your hands on a junk yard cover and practice....that's what I did. I got one from a friend for free. Mastered the technique and was good to go!

Haven't run the 1/4 in mine. The previous owner said it ran 12's....but that is just myth until I can do it.

My car is more built for road racing....has pretty much every suspension part you can bolt on except for coil overs. No....I haven't done any road racing in it either yet.

Hoping to hit the 1/4 at least one trip this year and plenty of shows. I can't take credit, I bought the car with most of the mods except for the cleaning and powdercoating under the hood. Oh, and most of the time I've had it has been spent fixing oil leaks etc.

But I have about 8k into it, and its insured for 14k....so I can't lose. :D
thats cool, if your ever looking for a bump n power swap the systmax cam for a Z cam, just that made a huge jump in performace on my car. A ton, litterally like 40hp :nice:

i run 1.7's with my stockers just had to mod the baffle a little???

:shrug:

Mine wouldn't line up with the bolt holes until I cut out the sides too.

thats cool, if your ever looking for a bump n power swap the systmax cam for a Z cam, just that made a huge jump in performace on my car. A ton, litterally like 40hp :nice:

Cool! One of these days I need to either run the 1/4 or get a dyno just to have a baseline in what my car already has, that way I know where I can go! :nice:

By far, that was the worst part of my head swap. 4 hours and a huge mess to clean up when finished.

Powdercoat looks great!

You've had aluminum heads for a while...? Where you using tall valve covers and a spacer till now?

By far, that was the worst part of my head swap. 4 hours and a huge mess to clean up when finished.

Powdercoat looks great!

You've had aluminum heads for a while...? Where you using tall valve covers and a spacer till now?

Thanks! Yeah it wasn't the most fun I've ever had, so tedious.

It had Comp Cams polymer covers on it which were standard height but completely hollow on the inside. I had them powdercoated and I guess the heat weakened the polymer and they eventually started cracking and leaking. They were an old model and could not be found anywhere. So I was at a point of not having anything that would fit except for clearing out some stockers. I'm just glad it worked!