Clicks like starter problem but pop the clutch enough and it starts

Bulldog65roush

Apr 27, 2021
I have a 2006 Mustang Stage 1 Rough and it's giving me problems. I go to start it and it makes the clicking sound, already replaced the battery. If I pop the clutch enough times, it starts. Also when shifting from 1 to 2 it is sluggish and hesitates. I am woman btw so my lingo may me out of context. One person thought it was a lifter but it's fine, it does tick but every mustang I have owned does that. I drive the :poo: out of it. It's now sitting because my husband doesn't want to pay for a tranny and clutch. Please help. I miss driving my Harvey, yes that's his name

• Sponsors (?)

A light clicking sound from the injectors is normal but anything over and above that signals trouble.
Does Harvey still have the original clutch assembly? How many miles on the car?
You might want to check the positive and ground cables coming off the battery for any signs of corrosion, as this could be the cause of your starting problem.

Yes, Harvey has the original clutch with 56k miles. My brother checked the lifters, the old fashion way with a long screwdriver? He's old school mechanic. This new stuff all digital makes him crazy. Thanks for the tip on cables.

If messing with the clutch pedal gets it to start, I would suspect the clutch safety switch. Yet if the solenoid clicks when you hit the start position with the key, power is getting past the safety switch. So I think popping the clutch is likely a red herring.
The places to look are at the starter and cables. (Does the 2006 have a starter with the solenoid on it? The pictures at Rock Auto do.) The battery could also be an issue. I’d have Advanced auto or oh-really check both out. I hope that fixes one of the problems.