clutch issues (2002 gt 5 speed)

trlps_

Feb 25, 2020
Houston
so after finally and i mean FINALLY getting my car to run and idle on its own, now having an issue with my clutch/transmission. With the car off i am able to go through all 5 gears and reverse with no issues whatsoever, when the car is on however i cant go through gears as easily, its hit or miss but reverse will grind when trying to put it in and as far as driving, its difficult to put in first as well as second. Havent drove the car since it started doing this or got a chance to try the rest of the gears, only drove it around my apartment after getting it running but any ideas? Thinking maybe the pressure plate but not 100% sure, any ideas as to what it can be will help a ton, thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

so after finally and i mean FINALLY getting my car to run and idle on its own, now having an issue with my clutch/transmission. With the car off i am able to go through all 5 gears and reverse with no issues whatsoever, when the car is on however i cant go through gears as easily, its hit or miss but reverse will grind when trying to put it in and as far as driving, its difficult to put in first as well as second. Havent drove the car since it started doing this or got a chance to try the rest of the gears, only drove it around my apartment after getting it running but any ideas? Thinking maybe the pressure plate but not 100% sure, any ideas as to what it can be will help a ton, thanks in advance!
Hi,
Happy to help you get this worked out...sounds like you just cleared up some drivability issues, were you having any transmission/clutch issues previous to that, or did they just start now- or is this more of a new purchase? Hate to answer questions with questions...Some details will greatly help members reach out with less vague responses.

1) Is this a car you recently purchased, didn’t have a chance to drive it much previously? You mentioned you stopped driving it when you first started having having this problem, meaning the Clutch/Trans issue?
2) Any recent Clutch or Transmission work in the vehicles recent history?
3) If you’ve had it for a while & have driven it enough, did this clutch issue start suddenly, or begin & worsen over time?
4) Does your Mustang have an adjustable clutch cable, firewall adjuster, aftermarket pedal quadrant for fine Clutch tuning?
5) What distance is the pedal from the floor when you are able to stop the Car while in gear, still feel like it’s slightly engaging?
(Very close to the floor, practically on the floor, etc-same for..)..
What is your pedal height when in gear, when the clutch starts to grab & move the car while slowly releasing the pedal?
Has the pedal height changed since the problem began?
Any Clutch slippage noted when it’s in gear & moving, or does it feel fairly solidly engaged?
If you cycle the clutch a few times first, then depress & push it into gear, does that help with it getting into 1st, doing the same in 2nd while moving?
Perform a spin down test?
What Oil are you running in its Trans, and is it filled to the correct level?
-Honestly lacking in proper adjustment, from the information I have until there’s a little more info to work with.
Best!
-John

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
Happy to help you get this worked out...sounds like you just cleared up some drivability issues, were you having any transmission/clutch issues previous to that, or did they just start now- or is this more of a new purchase? Hate to answer questions with questions...Some details will greatly help members reach out with less vague responses.

1) Is this a car you recently purchased, didn’t have a chance to drive it much previously? You mentioned you stopped driving it when you first started having having this problem, meaning the Clutch/Trans issue?
2) Any recent Clutch or Transmission work in the vehicles recent history?
3) If you’ve had it for a while & have driven it enough, did this clutch issue start suddenly, or begin & worsen over time?
4) Does your Mustang have an adjustable clutch cable, firewall adjuster, aftermarket pedal quadrant for fine Clutch tuning?
5) What distance is the pedal from the floor when you are able to stop the Car while in gear, still feel like it’s slightly engaging?
(Very close to the floor, practically on the floor, etc-same for..)..
What is your pedal height when in gear, when the clutch starts to grab & move the car while slowly releasing the pedal?
Has the pedal height changed since the problem began?
Any Clutch slippage noted when it’s in gear & moving, or does it feel fairly solidly engaged?
If you cycle the clutch a few times first, then depress & push it into gear, does that help with it getting into 1st, doing the same in 2nd while moving?
Perform a spin down test?
What Oil are you running in its Trans, and is it filled to the correct level?
-Honestly lacking in proper adjustment, from the information I have until there’s a little more info to work with.
Best!
-John
Thanks for the reply! A lot of useful info that I can look into now but I’ll reply with the best of what I know,

no the car wasn’t just purchased, have had it for sometime now but the time that I have owned it it hasn’t given me any clutch problems/transmission problems etc.

I have driven it a fair bit and a fair amount but this problem started after it began to sit for sometime, the problem that it also has that I didn’t note above was that when engaged into gear, I get a very somewhat violent vibration from the car itself somewhat shaking, in addition when I do try to engage into a gear with the car on, say if I were to try and put it into first gear, reverse etc, the car will begin to roll forward or begin to roll backwards, as well as sitting at a light with it in first and my foot all the way engaged on the clutch, the car will still move slightly forward.

as far as when the clutch does engage it’s more closer to when the clutch is almost pressed all the way to the floor.

I do believe that it has the adjustable cable and I do believe it is the stock one still, haven’t looked too much into it but I do need to, also I believe the transmission oil has never been changed, I could be wrong.

thanks again for the reply and I hope this helps a little bit more in clearing things up!

Hi,
That information helps a bit on this end, TY!
Sounds like you may have 2-3 things going on, making all worse. I’d listed what would be most likely areas of interest, how to deal with them.
How long has that fuel been in the tank, any Sta-bil added, may be contributing..
This Clutch May be a newer install.& not completely broken in (500 solid miles)9, making it more vulnerable.
Again, I believe the answer is driving the car after all areas are checked/addressed.
I’ll assume this is still Cable actuated, for now. Lots of hydraulic conversions are being done.
Points of interest; Troubleshooting.
1) Oil or another fluid leaking down to the surface rust on the flywheel, Splines, or on the Retainer sleeve (Especially when sitting a while) can cause car shaking chatter, rough, abnormal Clutch function.Check for oil on/around and leaks of any type on the ground/near the Trans Bell. This will clear up after some conservative driving, providing there isn’t a large oil leak. Repair as necessary.
2) A sticky Brake Caliper or E brake that’s “hanging” or not entirely disconnecting when released (drag) causes issues like yours. Check that all wheels are free to rotate without resistance, Jack it up- check. Penetrating oil on sticky mechanical brake components. Again, may be from sitting. Pull & check your cable for stretching internally, Lube it top first and allow to travel, line base. Should be simple to move with fingers.
3) Pedal effort light from normal height until about 1” in, then pedal effort increases to where clutch disengages entirely at >/= 1.5” from the floor., no “creep”. This is one of your issues, not the main nor the.only one.
Adjust your Clutch pedal height so disengagement fully occurs as described above. Using a helper, watch your clutch components down below, lubricate, adjust as needed.Do you have adjustable Clutch components? Post a few pics if unsure...
4) Check for broken motor mounts, Transmission mounts, loose or broken bolts, Bellhousing bolts not tightened. Use a bar & wedge in between mounts/crossmember, check torque of bolts installed..
5) Check for a possible misfire, this can create a jumpy, chattery feel when taking off, an intermittent or small misfire. Check for DTC’s.
Important note:
Hyperextending a clutch via adjustment too far past where the clutch fully disengages will bend pressure plate fingers & must be avoided. Folks all have preferences,
Best of luck
-John

Reactions: 1 user