Clutch Max on eBay

AUSTEXLX

Feb 1, 2021
Austin, TX
I'd like to crowd source some opinions on a direction for a clutch kit.

I'm going to pull the transmission to redo the rear main seal. While I'm down there I'm going to take care of business and drop a new clutch and associated parts in as well. I came across a number of Clutch Max branded kits on eBay. Snooping around the Internet, it appears that they're made by a larger manufacturer and white labeled by Clutch Max. I'm also considering an aluminum flywheel. This kit looks like it has most of what I'm going to need while under the car.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-PERFOR...d=link&campid=5335821607&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

So,
1) Have you used one of these kits?
2) Did parts bolt-in and fit as they should?
3) Were any parts poorly made or of concern?
4) What were your first impressions?
5) How is the setup holding up long-term?

• Sponsors (?)

Never heard of them. However, they are selling a clutch and aluminum flywheel for less than what a quality aluminum flywheel alone costs. You do understand that if that thing comes apart it's going through your leg right?

Kurt

The big takeaway is that quality clutch manufacturers in the US (Mcleod, SPEC, etc) can get you a quality clutch for the same price without the flywheel. The advantages of going to an aluminum flywheel are nominal. Unless this is a car that you are trying to squeeze every last hp out of on a road coarse, you are never going to notice the difference. There is nothing wrong with just getting the factory flywheel resurfaced.

Kurt

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
They at least have a site. Do you know who makes the parts they put their sticker on?
This is my question, too. They're white-labeling these products, but I don't know enough about this line of parts to know who is making them. Having worked in the automotive aftermarket space, I know that there's plenty of margin in parts. My guess is that these may not be bad parts, but the lack of information on the brand would lead this to be a risky endeavor. Unlike a no-name cold air intake, I don't want to go to the trouble of installing a part like clutch and other components only to find out they are junk. I believe these are probably just fine, but I hesitate because of the lack of information.

The big takeaway is that quality clutch manufacturers in the US (Mcleod, SPEC, etc) can get you a quality clutch for the same price without the flywheel. The advantages of going to an aluminum flywheel are nominal. Unless this is a car that you are trying to squeeze every last hp out of on a road coarse, you are never going to notice the difference. There is nothing wrong with just getting the factory flywheel resurfaced.

Kurt
I agree that the flywheel won't make much of a difference for me and I don't care much that this package has an aluminum flywheel, but I will likely replace the flywheel anyway just out of convenience.

GM Shoebox Chevies (and other cast iron flywheels) are the reason for SFI bell housings. I have a Chevy friend without a toe from a piece of flywheel that came through the floor and stuck in the dash when he was hot footing his mom’s car.

GM Shoebox Chevies (and other cast iron flywheels) are the reason for SFI bell housings. I have a Chevy friend without a toe from a piece of flywheel that came through the floor and stuck in the dash when he was hot footing his mom’s car.
This is interesting.... I grew up with cars in the early 70's and we all had chevys or maybe a GTO... Blowing up your flywheel ( never saw one happen) was in the conversation alot and buying a "scattershield" was the answer... I think the price of a scattershield was more than we paid for the cars back then... LOL

This is interesting.... I grew up with cars in the early 70's and we all had chevys or maybe a GTO... Blowing up your flywheel ( never saw one happen) was in the conversation alot and buying a "scattershield" was the answer... I think the price of a scattershield was more than we paid for the cars back then... LOL
A quick image search comes up with plenty of blown disks (clutch, not spine) and this scary pressure plate. I did see a recent color pic of part of a clutch disc or flywheel sticking out of the cowl vent. If I start taking my car back to the track, a SFI scatter shield or bell housing will be going in right after I burn up the clutch or break the T-5. I predict those events will both happen on the first trip with drag tires.

Attachments

• 138B23AC-3234-4585-BF44-6594891B946C.png
    138B23AC-3234-4585-BF44-6594891B946C.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
Is this actually a thing? I've never heard of someone losing their legs due to an aluminum flywheel. Is this a common problem?

I had a coworker that spent 2 months in traction at the hospital because a clutch went through his leg. Granted it was in a late model dirt track car, and someone had gotten up under neath the back of the car lifting the wheels and causing the engine to rev to god knows what.

Kurt

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I agree that the flywheel won't make much of a difference for me and I don't care much that this package has an aluminum flywheel, but I will likely replace the flywheel anyway just out of convenience.
A new factory quality flywheel isn't expensive at the parts store if that's the way you want to go. Probably still save money over the clutch max.

Kurt

A new factory quality flywheel isn't expensive at the parts store if that's the way you want to go. Probably still save money over the clutch max.

Kurt
I used to work in the automotive aftermarket and know the insane markups of both aftermarket and replacement parts. Also knowing that some brands are white-labeled and made by big manufacturers.

The stuff from any of the big box replacement parts stores is all generally ok.

To bring it back to a less extreme level, my concern would be QC control with off-label parts. How is the balance on the flywheel/clutch? Will the bolt holes strip out easily because the material is subpar (i have a habit of stripping clutch holes), and things like that nature.

Chopping a leg off is a bit extreme, and while the risk is there, the risk of PITA issues like a vibration is a more realistic risk that i would worry about.

Would have to do your research to see if Clutch MAx is using parts purchases from other vendors at a cheaper price. A lot of these ebay parts are just discounted parts made by larger manufacturers, as small vendors dont have the capital to make such parts themselves.

Really, just do your due dilligence. I can't imagine there are too many vendors out there these days making 302 flywheels

Reactions: 1 user
To bring it back to a less extreme level, my concern would be QC control with off-label parts. How is the balance on the flywheel/clutch? Will the bolt holes strip out easily because the material is subpar (i have a habit of stripping clutch holes), and things like that nature.

Chopping a leg off is a bit extreme, and while the risk is there, the risk of PITA issues like a vibration is a more realistic risk that i would worry about.

Would have to do your research to see if Clutch MAx is using parts purchases from other vendors at a cheaper price. A lot of these ebay parts are just discounted parts made by larger manufacturers, as small vendors dont have the capital to make such parts themselves.

Really, just do your due dilligence. I can't imagine there are too many vendors out there these days making 302 flywheels
All great points. I may just do the RMS and call it a day for now. It isn't the worst job to pull the trans again if needed. Mostly, I am concerned about getting rid of leaks.