clutch replaced, bad vibrations

nessence

May 4, 2002
I just had Ford replace my clutch (paid $526 for it), while they did some warranty work on it at the same time (window leak). Clutch had 70k miles on it. Since they replaced it, the car had a nasty vibration when letting off the clutch. The mechanic said "oh, the clutch isn't seated right, just give it a little more gas and less clutch and it'll be fine". 2 days later, I took it back because of the vibration . I HAD to wait a few days b/c I got the car back on a Saturday. Now they have 'adjusted' the clutch and it still vibrates very bad when going in reverse and not as bad going forward. Non of the vibration existed beforehand or since I've had the car. Vibration is as bad as a stalling motor with no motor mounts (but the drivetrain vibrates, not the motor).

I have the work orders for the repairs they've made but would like to know what I can do about this. The warranty work I was having them do wasn't fixed the second time either (leaking Window). So, now I'm taking the car back a 3rd time.

Has anyone had this happen and any guesses as to what I should have them do for the clutch? I'm already going to request a refund for replacement of the clutch.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

if it vibrates and shakes is it the car or the petal? my petal has a vibration notchy feel to it and after 4 throw out bearings it still does it i gave up....

they probably goofed the install or didnt resurfact the flywheel AS THEY SHOULD HAVE if they EVERY go back in the clutch area make SURE they replace the throw out bearing, pilot bearing, fork arm, pivot ball stud, inspect the bearing retainer (if scared it can cause rough engagment and letting out of the clutch) and resurface the flywheel and dont take NO for an answer if they refuse pay for the parts yoru self... also finish up with a new clutch cable.

may car has nasty vibratons in the petal... but my previous owner had replaced the cluth and everything, and it didnt fix it. The father had done it himself at his shop. So when we got it, we replaced it again, and had the flywheel resurfaced (because for some reason they no longer make the flywheel for the 95') and then it ran smooth, apparantly it was a bad install, mixed with not having the flywheel resurfaced...

If they didn't resurfice the flywheel, you can consider your clutch warranty void. I had a new clutch put in when i had a new tranny put in, I made sure they replaced everything, and resurfaced the flywheel, i was kind of a jerk, but you have to be to get good work done at times. They kept trying to cut corners...:nono:

It sounds like I'm going to be having them replace the clutch again and resurface the fly wheel. Refunding my money is 'not their business' (surprise there). I went to talk to the manager this morning but told him I couldn't bring it in till tomorrow. This is North Central Ford (Richardson, TX). Glad I haven't taken it back yet; now I know what to ask for. Here is a list of the parts they replaced (initially):

Those they covered under warranty:
LEVER ASY-CL R (Throwout/Release Bearing?)
HUB & BRG ASY - (Pivot bearing?)
STUD-CLUTCH RE - (pivot ball stud?)
RET TRANS INPU - (Reinstall the transmission?)

Those I had to pay for:
DSC ASY CL FRT (clutch - > $100 after core credit)
PLT & CVF ASY - (plate - > $100 after core credit)
BRG ASY - TRANS (? - was less than $50)
BRKT ASY DR WD (? - was less than $50)

I picked up a repair manual last night so I can match these parts with the ones you all have listed to see what they need to take care of.

What is the benefit in replacing the clutch cable?

How much should parts to replace the clutch itself cost? They said they'd replace the TOB and some other stuff under warranty (75k mile ext warranty I got when purchasing the car)

weird how they cover some of this with the warranty and some without.

I'm just curious. When you say "not refunding your money," does that mean that they strive to do the job right and make you satisfied. I'm only asking becuase you are taking the car back to them.

Don't read into this.

MarvinMyCat said:
I'm just curious. When you say "not refunding your money," does that mean that they strive to do the job right and make you satisfied. I'm only asking becuase you are taking the car back to them.

Don't read into this.

They want me satisfied. Really, I won't be satisfied without my money back, but they apparently can't figure that one out. I want the money back b/c I had to get a rental and they have spent 9 days on it so far and it's not fixed. I'm also taking it back because some of it was warranty work.

I can't think of any alternatives but to take it back.

Hmmm... Good and bad I think.

Are they charging you for the rental or is that included or out of pocket expense?

I ask becuase when I had my after market hood put on, painted/color matched, the price remained the saem after I told them I'd be sans car.

MarvinMyCat said:
Hmmm... Good and bad I think.

Are they charging you for the rental or is that included or out of pocket expense?

I ask becuase when I had my after market hood put on, painted/color matched, the price remained the saem after I told them I'd be sans car.

Yeah, they are covering the rental car. Paying for the $15/day insurance on it too (fortunately).

How much did the hood/painting cost?

Hello from a new member in Central NC. This past Saturday (5/30/2020) I became the proud owner of a 2003 Mustang, 3.8 ltr, 5 speed manual. The car has 157500 miles on it and I'm the 4th owner. On the test drive and on the drive home the car ran perfectly. Once home I got out the owners manual to look over the maintenance schedule and other items. One thing I read was the paragraph on clutch adjustment which seemed simple enough. Put the car (not running) in first gear and pull up all the way on the clutch petal, then slowly push the petal all the way down and you will hear a click and that's it. When I drove the car the next day there was a vibration in the clutch petal when you took your foot off after shifting gears, there was also a clacking noise that disappeared if I just very lightly put the edge of my foot on the clutch petal. This started after I did the "clutch adjustment" as outlined in the owners manual. The transmission still shifts fine, no change in that, just the vibration in the clutch petal and the clacking noise. I have a Haynes manual coming next week and hoping that will shed some light on the matter, but thought that the experts on the forum could provide helpful troubleshooting advice. Thanks in advance.