CMS is killing me!

SiahNyde

Dec 3, 2010
Oregon
I've tried for 5 days now, calling cushman motor sports but to avail!
I've also emailed and pm'ed him on his business email and his user name on modularmustangs! I fricken wanna buy some parts from these guys but if I can't get ahold of him I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay an extra 300-400 dollars else where! any help would be just so great...

• Sponsors (?)

Good luck getting ahold of any of the big name tuners this time of year. Most of them are busy as frack right now since it is the middle of the race season. Hell I haven't heard from my tuner in a few days either (sent him an e-mail about my tune on Thursday) and I know the guy is booked doing dyno tuning 6-7 days per week for the next 5 weeks.

i have really been in the pursuit of cams for my 2v and recently gave CMS a call as well. no answer. matter of fact, i got a 'your call can not be completed as dialed'. i emailed him with several questions, one being why didn't his phone number work. he answered most of them but the answers were fairly short. but he didn't say anything about the phone number issue. it actually took 3 emails to get the explaination out of him that CMS is not his bread and butter job anymore, its a side business. while that is all fine, provide a number that works. i AGAIN asked him for a phone number and never got one. if i am going to spend $600 with you, i want to talk to you. I also want to know that if there is a issue with shipping or the products or whatever, that i can reach you. i am not going to to do business like that. too shady.

on a side note, i called hi tech motorsports about a set as well. no one answers their phone and theirs is a legit number. i left TWO messages on two different tech lines a week apart. thats been a few months ago and never have recieved a call back. email - nothing either. why would i do business with them either? heck, how would i even order from them? sure am not going to do it based on that website of theirs.

called nick at MHS. i've spoke with nick before and he is an outstandingly nice guy. the last time i called, he was busy. perfectly understandable. i left a message and was asked how i preferred him to contact me back. the lady i spoke with suggested email being the best. i told her i really wanted to speak with him when he has time. email correspondance just doesnt do it for me on big purchases and important questions. well, i got a email response. i returned it with alot of questions and several were just unanswered. the email seemed very rushed. this bothers me. not really mad about it, just disappointed. didnt pursue this any more after that.

so i have pretty much gave up on the whole cam idea. i havent called comp or trickflow but i just sorta feel disgusted with the idea anyway and let down with the lack of customer service.

Call him in November. Like I said earlier it's the middle of the race season and he's probably porting cylinder heads and doing machine work 15 + hours/day.

FWIW, I ordered my cams from Nick at MHS in early March and didn't get them for 2 months. They are custom made to order cams, and he doesn't keep them on the shelf.

Anytime you're dealing with an industry like this that has such a busy season, it's impossible to expect a prompt response. They just simply don't have the time or resources to do it. Suppose they did have the staff to support the demand in the summer, what should they do with those employees in the winter? The other issue is, many tuners are afraid to teach their employees all of the secrets to cylinder head porting and dyno tuning, simply because they're afraid they'll run and open a competing business with the goal of undercutting them. If you guys want prompt customer service, order from one of the big companies like comp. If you want something more custom, IMO it's best to wait till business slows down so you can have some good conversations with them before ordering.

its not the place of the customer to work around the 'best' time for the business. overnight responses, no i don't expect that. a few days is even fine. weeks, months.....no. a response and a phone number isn't too much to expect from a advertised company.

(above comments are not directed toward MHS)

I don't disagree, but you have to understand that this time of year most of those speedshops are incredibly busy. It's like noon at subway in an office park for those guys. They are constantly running around helping people and are likely on a 4 month back order for some items, etc... Like I said, if you want that great customer service go to the big corporations that sell enough of a variety of products where they can afford to keep a substantive staff on-hand to answer questions. On the other hand, if you want the attention, know how, and custom products offered by some of the smaller shops you have to be somewhat persistent cause they simply don't have the time. Think about what they make on a set of cams. I bet they don't make more than $50 on a pair of cams.

i see your point. i'm just really big on customer service. not returning two very polite messages months ago, theres no excuse for that. refusing to provide a phone number, thats just shady. i understand certain businesses will have their peak times but they have to be careful or their customers will go elsewhere.

again, not directed at MHS.

I hear ya, it's frustrating and I'm the same way when it comes to customer service. Honestly I was really irritated at how long it took for my cams to come in and I had to constantly tell myself that it's alright and its what happens when you buy something custom (I was just really excited to install them!!!). Anyways, good luck to ya. I hope you get it figured out.

I would never, ever do business with anybody like the above. No way in hell, race season, or not. Every single time I call my shop, one of the owners answers the phone, every time, and that is 4-5 times a week, and sometimes twice on the same day. I'd be willing to bet they do a lot more cars than CMS, too. A whole lot more.

Customer service is the name of the game as far as I am concerned. Doesn't matter if you want $100 in parts, or $10,000. Somebody needs to be on the other end when you call, or call you back the same day, if not the same hour.

OP, just get comp 262's and be done with it. That, or have some of the modular guys at modurlarrevolution.com help you out with spec's and lobe setup. Throw in a set of valvesprings, and maybe replace the timing chains. Then call comp and order your cams. Avoid all the headache.

Mark it might depend on your region too. You happen to live in the south so there are likely more speedshops in the area. Here in MN we only have 3 choices and once it's June they're pretty much booked for dyno time until the fall/winter :shrug:

After several attempts through various means and at various times, I've decided that DSSracing will be my part provider for this venture! I called and they were more help then anyone I've talked to thus far! they even taught me a thing or too about what I really wanted and didn't just sell me their stuff. I ordered my pistons through them and was very pleased with service shipping and product. What I was looking to order was a set of trick flow heads twisted wedge heads, a set of CMS blower cams and a trick flow track heat mainfold that cms advertised for like 300 less than individually piecing the same kit together! Dss cams,Anderson ford motorsports cams and trickflow intake are the parts i'm going with, hopefully have everything ordered up by the middle of this week :nice:

That really sucks to hear about MHS. Nick has always been helpfull anytime I have contacted him and has always responded within a day when I have PM'd or emailed him. I know he has a huge huge back log of cam and cylinder head orders. Hopefully he gets it all straightened out.

im at a loss here, the shops around here are SLAMMED from the end of the season till a month or so after, then roughly a month before once all the new rules for each class come in. other then that you hear crickets chirping during the season and off season. also were i come from making $50 is the same as making $500 when you sell 10 sets of cams. but what also baffles me is he has choices like he stocks them, so if thats the case we shouldnt have to wait. but its to each his own, but when it comes to making money its not good to choose your work. like the farmer said "you gotta cut hay while the sun is shining"

That really sucks to hear about MHS. Nick has always been helpfull anytime I have contacted him and has always responded within a day when I have PM'd or emailed him. I know he has a huge huge back log of cam and cylinder head orders. Hopefully he gets it all straightened out.

I don't think anyone directed any negative opinions about MHS??? The only reason my cams took 2 months to get here was because I paid him to degree them and install cam gears for me. That means the cams have to be ground, shipped to his shop, and then he has to time them and install the gears and spacer. Sounds like the OP had problems with CMS.

I don't think anyone directed any negative opinions about MHS??? The only reason my cams took 2 months to get here was because I paid him to degree them and install cam gears for me. That means the cams have to be ground, shipped to his shop, and then he has to time them and install the gears and spacer. Sounds like the OP had problems with CMS.

Nah, MHS was very promt in getting back to me! I got an automated email from them and within 72 hours had recieved a personal email from mike letting me know he could help me out if I got him the particulars of my setup.
I am starting to wonder if the rapture actually did happened but CMS was the only folks that got it right! not a single peep from them despite my harrasment!

I realize that this will probably get my post moved back to the tech section, but it's picking up some serious traffic, and i'm at an impass...keep my mid length bassanis that require the removal of both engine and tranny to change starter, clutch, etc or switch to shortys? (keep in mind i'm running a 17 psi centri)