Cobra Cam?

96GRIMREAPER

Oct 4, 2003
I'm looking at buying a new cam for my 94 Cobra. I really like the E303, I used it in my old notch. However I've read that an E303 with 1.7 rockers is a no-no. I need to know what to would be a good choice.......I'm looking for so-so idle with decent mid-upper gain.

• Sponsors (?)

I think the Cobra can run the E303. I was able to get my cam to run on the stock J4J1.ccf and it isn't far off from the E303.

Do you have another car? You should really do some headwork on that thing. Some worked GT40's go perfectly with an E303.

Zero Signal said:
Do you have another car? You should really do some headwork on that thing. Some worked GT40's go perfectly with an E303.

Yea I've got my 96 GT drop top. I planned on porting the heads and intake while I was at it. Just gotta figure out what kinda cam I can use.

when i was buying i drove a 95 with an e-cam (at least thats what i was told) so i think it's possible. anderson ford makes a cam specifically for 5.0's with 1.7's, haven't heard anything about it though.

Anyone info yet??? I called crane today and they told me to get the 444226 which is a kit that comes with new springs? I don't want to change my springs. Just want to slip a bigger cam in. Which one will work Crane 2031 or E303, with stock everything but new headers???

I know you want to just slip a cam in, and people have swapped in bigger cams than F cams before with stock springs, but in the long run it really isn't a wise move. After 5-6 thousand miles of winding out the car in and out, you're going to start getting valve float in the higher rpms and its going to start getting worse and worse. I suggest you get the spring kit with the cam and do it all at once since you're going to be down there anyway. The E cam will work with stock everything. The 2031 might or might not only in the pushrod department. Some people have had success in getting it to work with the stockers, but i've heard many others say they had to get different length ones.

I agree, get the kit. I ran a 2031 with stock springs, not a good Idea. I have better springs now.

I needed longer pushrods personally. very few have gotten away with stockers.

The cam sounds mean as hell, but is a tad soft on my combo. We made 260 RWHP and 293 TQ off the bottle on my setup. I think my cam is 2 degrees advanced (was in Iraq when the motor was built and never got a straight answer on that).

i would run an anderson B21 or the B that is for 1.7s

or the comp xe270 like mine

I used to run an ecam with 1.7s with no problems but you should upgrade springs unless you LIKE floating valves.

I have done ALOT of reseach over the years on the subject of gt40 heads and cams that work with those heads.

1. with all ford castings you will want a cam that has a split patt. that gives favor to the exh. side in terms of lift and dur. The stock gt40's will like a cam that is around .490-.500 in lift with .008 or so more in lift on the exh. along with 4-6 more in dur. over the intake side.

2. It is very wise to upgrade the springs, I wouldnt even think of adding a cam even if for the fact the age of our cars would make for a good peice of mind.

I would look at other cams than the letter cams, there are far better choices out there.

As far as porting....I am REALY happy with how my gt40s turned out from thumper working them over. I just need to get it to the track now that I got the bugs worked out (spend last year working out valve train geo. issues)

fiveo'cobra said:
I know you want to just slip a cam in, and people have swapped in bigger cams than F cams before with stock springs, but in the long run it really isn't a wise move. After 5-6 thousand miles of winding out the car in and out, you're going to start getting valve float in the higher rpms and its going to start getting worse and worse. I suggest you get the spring kit with the cam and do it all at once since you're going to be down there anyway. The E cam will work with stock everything. The 2031 might or might not only in the pushrod department. Some people have had success in getting it to work with the stockers, but i've heard many others say they had to get different length ones.

I gotta echo this kind of thinking :D

I will add one thing however :)

That cam Snooze used produced great looking hp/tq curves :nice:

Grady