Cobra Convertible Top on GT - What's the difference?

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2002
Broke
I need a new vert top and I remember people saying the Cobra top was better. Whats the difference?

I assume its the same design and should be a direct fit? Has anyone got pics?

• Sponsors (?)

i believe the difference is the material the top is made of. GT's are made of a vinyl material and the cobra's is a soft cloth material. i think that is the only difference but i'm not sure.

96Stang is correct, the Terminator Cobras (03/04) had more of a "fabricky" type material rather than the nylon that the GTs and V6's have.

I cannot think of any physical reasons a Cobra vert top wouldn't fit on a GT or V6 but do take note that the convertible top is actually two pieces. There is the "top" that covers the passenger cabin but below this is the window curtain piece. The curtain is sewn/stapled into the frame UNDER the top.

It would look pretty retarded to have a convertible top made from two different materials.

When I replaced my top I got a KEE brand from MustangsUnlimited. My installation cost was $225 for labor only and this was ONLY for the rear curtain to be replaced. I'd call every shop in town and get their labor only quote, then start a bidding war... somebody wants your business bad enough to give you a low/fair price.

Interesting... The underneath part that houses the rear window is fine, and I'd hate to have to replace it because I'd have to get new tint. Seems like your saying that I dont have to mess with that at all - I can just replace the main part of the top which is damaged (the bit that makes up the roof itself down the the rear C pillars). That would be great.

When I replaced my top I got a KEE brand from MustangsUnlimited. My installation cost was $225 for labor only and this was ONLY for the rear curtain to be replaced. I'd call every shop in town and get their labor only quote, then start a bidding war... somebody wants your business bad enough to give you a low/fair price.

What color top do you have? Does the KEE material match the stock material? I dont want to change the window piece, just the top part, so I really want it to match perfectly.

I have a black top and my car is an 02 GT. The Kee fits like a glove and looks great, an exact match. I only replaced my rear curtain due to a busted rear window. The upholstery man partially peeled back the top to reach the curtain. I am very happy with the results and would recommend the Kee brand to another stangbanger.

I found the top without the rear window for just $165 on mustangsunlimited. I'll drive there and get one this weekend, and install it myself. Hope it works out. Thanks for your help.:nice:

007 Do you know if it will be complicated for a beginner to install the top? I'm trying to get a top from one of those 10th anniversary cobras but I was wondering if it were possible that I could just replacing the outer most layer since from what I'm seeing, that's the only thing that needs replacing and I don't wanto to spend more than I have to

007 Do you know if it will be complicated for a beginner to install the top? I'm trying to get a top from one of those 10th anniversary cobras but I was wondering if it were possible that I could just replacing the outer most layer since from what I'm seeing, that's the only thing that needs replacing and I don't wanto to spend more than I have to

I have no idea how hard the install is. I'll post something when I'm done.

If you do replace only the top itself with the new material, then the rear window piece wont match, I cant see any other reason not to do it, but the material around and below your back window will be the GT stuff, while the rest of the top is the Cobra stuff. That might look crap from behind.

Anyone got pics of the Cobra top material?