Cobra Vortech WEIRD NOISES?!?!

Ok I jus got a car that i bought a 1997 cobra with a vortech vs-1 supercharger. It whines pretty noticeably when I push the throttle. I always thought vortech were suppose to be quieter. Also i noticed on the valve cover next to the supercharger theres a little bit of oil build up, the oil is too high up to be coming from the valve cover or gaskets. I was wondering if the supercharger could possible letting out a little bit of oil? also is the whining sound a hint hat its lacking oil? I jus bought this car from Ebay and the guy i bought it from is in Florida and im in California he didn't tell me about any of these problems. I am somewhat frustrated. I also here a tappety type sound when i hit the throttle fast I was told it might be an exhaust leak Im not sure! Also this car has a weird transmission I think its a tremec 3550 but those dont fit in 4.6's i looked under the driveshaft and maybe it has a spacer it seems like to make it fit? I know its not a normal tranny because my 4 bolt corner steeda tri ax shifter wont fit in it. It has 6 bolts on the tranny shifter mount. I know this is alot of questions for one Post but I jus got the car and im wondering. Any cobra owners please let me know if this sounds familiar! Thanks ALOT.

• Sponsors (?)

well, i can tell you for a fact, the '97 cobra came with a T-45 tranny to begin with, but IT SUCKS BALLS and most likely this person blew it out fast and had to put in something stronger.

Yes, the blower will whine quite a bit. It should quiet down off idle and then make some more noise as you get up in the RPMs.

Please explain where the oil build up is more specifically and that'll help diagnose the problem.

Does the tapping sound like rocks rattling in a can? Or is it more of a tick?

Matt

isdnmatt said:
Yes, the blower will whine quite a bit. It should quiet down off idle and then make some more noise as you get up in the RPMs.

Please explain where the oil build up is more specifically and that'll help diagnose the problem.

Does the tapping sound like rocks rattling in a can? Or is it more of a tick?

Matt

The tapping sound only happens when I hit throttle 50% at once or more past 2500 rpm it doesnt sound like raw metal like the can sound but it is a tapping sound. I've had a bad rod on a 5.0 engine and it sounded similar but this is alot more Subtle. I'm hopping I dont have bad rods :[ . The engine only has 75k miles. The oil is in places where it couldn't just leak out, I need to know where the oil feed lines are on the Vortech Vs-1 so i can examine them they arnt visible tho.

It may be detonation. You should definitely have it checked out on a dyno. If it is detonating you can be kissing that engine goodbye.

75k is not alot of miles on a N/A engine, but the blower will definitely take its toll. Did the owner say how long it has been on? I hope my engine lasts to 75k with the blower.

Matt