Code 96. Bought Replacement Part But Doesn't Match....

92Apocalypso

Mar 7, 2017
So my 92 LX has been running super rich. Car won't pass emissions for that and fails fuel pressure test. Only symptom car has is it stalls as soon as you first start it unless you Rev it for about 5-10 seconds. Idles and drives perfectly after that. Once warm though, you wont stall once you start car until the next day.

I Bought code reader and constantly get code 96... fuel pump relay circuit.... so for the price of the relay ($15) I figured it would be worth a shot to replace it. I buy the part and search forums and it says up to year 90 it's under passenger seat and after 90 it's in wheel wheel area under MAF. I removed my CAI and saw 2 relays. Can you tell me which is the correct relay, if it is one of those. I checked with autozone two times and their info matches, but the new relay I bought doesn't go into those connectors. There are 3 photos I attached. One shows both original relays in the car, with 1 relay removed from connector. The other 2 photos show the top and bottom of the newly purchased relay from autozone that did not fit either one of those connectors. I must note that the lower relay in the photo appeared to not be stock. The factory plug has those latches on the outside of them for the relay to click into.... that relay that was in the car did not have any sort of safety clip on it, and it was wire tied to not come undone. I hope that helps. Does anyone have any insight on these relays?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-20-00-14-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-03-20-00-14-24.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_2017-03-20-00-12-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-03-20-00-12-55.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_2017-03-20-00-11-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-03-20-00-11-57.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Sponsors (?)

The fix is to note and match the wire color. The fuel pump relay has a red, light blue/orange, dark green/yellow and a pink/black wire..

Diagram of the fuel pump wiring for 91-93 cars.
attachment.php?attachmentid=57323&stc=1&d=1235957538.gif

update. car has passed inspection and is tagged. it was reading rich because the cats on it were hollowed out, and timing slightly off. brand new exhaust from the block back, set timing as well as TPS which was all jacked up. cars runs great now. it still stalls once you start it if you don't tap the gas once, and my mechanic said it probably need a a tune as he can hear it go from open to closed loop, and you shouldn't..... but other than that it runs great so I've been enjoying it.... even tho something new goes bad every single damn say