Coil Over's VS Lakewood - Help me choose

Yellow302

Mar 2, 2003
NJ
Hey guys I now have some money to make my car hook and I eventually will go for the tubular K member and A arms.

But for now..

Down the road which will be better, coil overs or lakewood 70/30's up front.

If I go with coil overs do you still need front springs?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, you will need to get coil over springs with a coil over set up. To run the coil over set up in the front, you will also need the tubular A-arms and a tubular K-member. 70/30s could not match the ride quality that a coil over setup would.

Joe

im very confused i though you could only have "Springs and Struts" or just coilovers in place of where the struts are?

If anyone has pics that would help me out.

BTW I ordered UPR Upper and Lower control arms, eibock drag springs, 50/50 lake woods for the rear.

Left the front for later.. until I understand the difference between the above.

the shocks/struts dont have anything to do with coilovers, its the spring, and whatever mechanism that specific manufacturer uses to rais lower height...the shock/strut is just their to dampen sprin oscilation....

...a lot of coilover setups have a spring, and a sleeve with threads on it....and a huge "nut" type thing that the spring sits on....and you turn the nut to raise and lower the spring...and in turn changing the ride height...and then you just lock it in place..

Anthony

Joes95GT said:
To run the coil over set up in the front, you will also need the tubular A-arms and a tubular K-member.

No you don't. The only thing that you absolutely HAVE to have when installing coilovers is a quality set of 4-bolt CC plates. Otherwise, you can run coilovers with stock A-arms and K-member.

This is a coilover setup.
frontcoiloverkit.jpg

All it is is a coilover spring and hardware added to a strut. Keep in mind that higher spring rates will kill struts that aren't setup for it. But that shouldn't be an issue with the spring rates run in drag setups.

Attachments

• frontcoiloverkit.jpg
    frontcoiloverkit.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 31
baglock1 said:
No you don't. The only thing that you absolutely HAVE to have when installing coilovers is a quality set of 4-bolt CC plates. Otherwise, you can run coilovers with stock A-arms and K-member.

This is a coilover setup.
frontcoiloverkit.jpg

All it is is a coilover spring and hardware added to a strut. Keep in mind that higher spring rates will kill struts that aren't setup for it. But that shouldn't be an issue with the spring rates run in drag setups.

Hmm...I guess I learn something new everyday. :)

I wonder where I got the assumption that coilover setups utilize tubular A-arms and K-member?

Oh well...

Joe

Attachments

• frontcoiloverkit.jpg
    frontcoiloverkit.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 31