Cold Air Intake HELP!!!!

JT's StangGT

Apr 2, 2005
I just put 40 series flows on my 01 GT and I was thinking about adding a cold air intake system. Any suggestions???
I would like to get something that won't trip the C.E.L. and that could be easy to install, looking to spend less than $200
:cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

unless you're the bling under the hood kind of guy, the money for a CAI could be better spent elsewhere. short shifter, pullies, some sort of chip are all good choices. best to just drop in a K&N if you are looking for better induction

well if you want a cold air, get a densecharger, aka tunable induction at demolet.com, or like he said jlt. they should not trip the light, but hp will be minimal on a NA car, as with any cai intake. i would spend the money on gears, 410 or 373

hot rod U did a comparison of the JLT and Demolet, and the Demolet came out a good Bit ahead. i have the Demolet and love it, then was later reassured in my choice when i saw the writeup.

Torinalth

i just ran .20 faster at the track against another stang with a chrome or polished looking cold air intake, not sure about the brand but the filter was in the fender and i got a drop in k&n with no silencer and removed headlight but it could of been the driver also.

jocko said:
i just ran .20 faster at the track against another stang with a chrome or polished looking cold air intake not about the brand but the filter was in the fender and i got a drop in k&n with no silencer and removed headlight but it could of been the driver also.

p-u-n-c-t-u-a-t-i-o-n

jocko said:
i just ran .20 faster at the track against another stang with a chrome or polished looking cold air intake not about the brand but the filter was in the fender and i got a drop in k&n with no silencer and removed headlight but it could of been the driver also.

I've done alot of testing at the track [more than 20 runs trying different CAI's] and the Mac CAI was about the same as stock. With the snorkle removed from the stock air box, the times did indeed dip slightly lower than with the Mac CAI.

jocko said:
I've had the same type of results. CAI is a waste of money. Removing the headlight at the track, I've ran almost .2 quicker. Tested on two seperate occasions. For the steet, on a hot day, CAI, in the fender, might help, But racing pulling the headlight with no silencer works great.

I have the K&N FIPK system on my car. I wouldn't have anything else. It works great and looks good. Plastic is great in the sense it doesn't rise to the heat levels of metal intakes, like those from Mac and BBK. Trinity_GT picked up 9.3rwhp and I believe 6+rwtq on a dyno jet with the addition of the K&N FIPK system on a midly modded GT. Definately amongst the best out there.

Torinalth said:
hot rod U did a comparison of the JLT and Demolet, and the Demolet came out a good Bit ahead. i have the Demolet and love it, then was later reassured in my choice when i saw the writeup.

Torinalth
This was on a 03 cobra, not a GT.
Plus there were way too many "testing odditys" on this comparo.
Once you find one thing wrong in a test I don't buy the rest.

You can get DeMolet systems custom painted now, so it could be nice and shiny and make good power too.

Do the math.
$40 for a 1-2 hp drop in junk k&n
$150 for 8+hp with a JLT or DeMolet.
We got 8 with just the meter forward on a stock Bullitt, and more on our '04 GT that already had a drop-in junk filter.

Do your research and you'll see those are the only two choices that are proven time and time again to make power.

A good intake will work, more air in, more air out. It will also give a nice tone under the hood and to the exhaust. Guys will blow money on pullies and other things that may net them 2-3HP. But when spending the same or less on a good intake that should give them 5+HP gains such as K&N or AEM its a waste of money? Is a shifter going to make you fast? Whats hurting performance on the intake is the ribbed area from the filter to the TB. I would say one of the best results I had was taking a K&N FIPK upper piece (from the TB to the intake box) on my truck and mating it to my stock air box with a drop in K&N. I didnt remove the snorkel because it is actually creating a vacuum only pulling in cold air from behind my headlight. It gave me better results than a full K&N system. I think the HP increases are not going to be by themselves but in a combination with a good TB and plenum and exhuast. I just think its retarded to leave a stock intake and then upgrade your TB and plenum to a little bit larger and smoother than stock which is exactly what you are doing by replacing your intake!

Intake

I can tell you I have done a cold air intake on every Mustang I have ever owned. On all 3 it made my exhaust louder and improved throttle response. As far as horsepower...dont expect huge gains by cai alone. If you are planning on doing a catback or other exhaust mods though THEY WORK TOGETHER. Bolt-ons are not going to add huge gains alone, adding 4 or 5 mods that gain 5 or 6 hp each is a nice boost though!
I have had both a Densecharger and a WMS ceramic coated Velocity. I prefer the look and design of the Velocity (which is on my current stang) but it's pricey. I got mine CHEAP on Ebay or I prolly woulda went Densecharger for the price. There is a pic of it in my garage if you want to see what it looks like.

edit: I dunno wtf happend to the member garages?

StangPro said:
You can get DeMolet systems custom painted now, so it could be nice and shiny and make good power too.

Do the math.
$40 for a 1-2 hp drop in junk k&n
$150 for 8+hp with a JLT or DeMolet.
We got 8 with just the meter forward on a stock Bullitt, and more on our '04 GT that already had a drop-in junk filter.

Do your research and you'll see those are the only two choices that are proven time and time again to make power.

Ummm....MM&FF dyno tested before and after just removing the snorkle and produced a 4.5 HP gain.http://musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0205mmff_boltons/
So actually, if the JLT produces 8hp as you claim, then you are really only gaining 3.5HP over the stock airbox with the snorkle removed.
So doing the math, as you suggest:
$0.00 for 4.5HP increase with snorkle removal
$150.00 for 3.5HP JLT or DeMolet over stock/with no snorkle :shrug: