Complete Idiot when it comes to....

Chips

Thinking about a chip for my O2 GT and don't know all that much about them. I am mainly concerned with my A/F Ratio but would also like to pick up a few ponies as well. Since I already run a Speed Cal and a timing adjustor, what other things can I expect it to do for me?? Is there a tutorial around so I can learn more?
Do you think it would be beneficial at this time considering my mods??

• Sponsors (?)

i dont know much but atleast itll give ur thread a bump. you can adjust timing from what i understand so you can sell you T/A. your supposed to get a chip after most/ if not all of your mods are done. so if you plan on doing anything else do that then get the chip.

mike2858 said:
i dont know much but atleast itll give ur thread a bump. you can adjust timing from what i understand so you can sell you T/A. your supposed to get a chip after most/ if not all of your mods are done. so if you plan on doing anything else do that then get the chip.

i know this is a real noob question but when people say something adjusts your timing...what does that mean? whether it be a chip or t/a. sorry again for the dumb question.

00VERT GT said:
i know this is a real noob question but when people say something adjusts your timing...what does that mean? whether it be a chip or t/a. sorry again for the dumb question.

Your spark plug fires before your piston actually reaches Top Dead Center in your cylinder. This gives the flame time to reach the piston just as it reaches TDC and puts more force into driving the piston down. The factory puts some leeway into the timing, having the flame hit the piston after TDC, meaning it does not produce maximum power, but it is much safer. When your timing is adjusted, it usually means that the spark plug is fired earlier, and you gain some HP/TQ from the flame hitting the piston @ TDC. Too much timing, and the flame hits the piston before TDC, trying to force the piston backwards. This is called "spark knock" or "detonation". Your rods will not like this and will try to visit your oil pan and the street if you do this for a long time. Last but not least, many power adders, NO2, Super/turbochargers require you to retard timing, aka make the plug fire later, due to the extra pressure in the cylinders. Hope this helped.

And if Babbat didn't answer the question, here is another angle explaining the ways timing can be adjusted...
A timing adjustor mounts on front of the stock or aftermarket crank pulley and allows you to manually adjust (advance or retard) the timing from the stock setting. On the good ol 5.0's you could basically do the same thing by rotating the distrbutor...since we don't have those anymore a timing adjustor relocates the sensor and allows the adjustment. Advancing your timing a few degrees will provide better performance but a higher octane fuel is required to avoid detonation. If you go with a power adder it also allows you to pull the timing back to a safer level. The chip will allow you to do the same thing but cannot be 'manually' adjusted...reburned I believe but not on the fly like the TA...

Oh yeah, my aplogies scalder, I meant to reply to you too. IMHO, unless you do major mods, NO2, etc, your speedcal and TA should be fine. I'd rather not waste the money that could be better spent on other mods.