Completely stock 2000 Mustang GT, Mods that actually help

jricolcol

Nov 26, 2018
California
Hello,

This is my first mustang I have owned and after driving it 10,000 miles I've decided I'd like to give it a power bump but I dont want to go with forced induction. I have been doing alot of searching but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I just recently ordered a CAI and sct x4 tuner bc american muscle advertised it to give 45hp with this combo but since this is my first time using a Tuner I'm assuming this advertised number is most likely on a custom tune rather than the canned tune which I originally planned on using.

If I do end up putting CAI and canned tune do you guys think the hp/tq gain would be worth it? Worth it meaning at least more than 10-12 hp. Or would it be best to just do a custom tune. Or would either of them not make much a difference. Bc I live in CA the emissions regulations is strict as hell so the full exhaust plan is out the door.

2000 mustang gt
86,0000 miles
Stock engine
Stock intake and throttle body
Stock exhaust manifold and cats
H pipe and magnflow exhaust

• Sponsors (?)

I've left my motor stock like yours except for a cat back exhaust and a mod to the stock air box (instead of a CAI). I increased the size of the air intake opening of the stock air box by 3-4 times in the following manner:

--mark the rubber air snorkel/silencer at the place where it goes thru the fender well. Pull the air box from the car. Mark the rubber snorkel again towards the open end 3/4-1" from your first mark...this is where you cut the rubber snorkel in order for it to still stick into the fenderwell, but with a significantly larger opening. Seat of the pants suggests it works as well as the aftermarket CAI I took off, sounds as good, and best of all for you (in CA) it looks completely stock.

A new shifter (mine's MGW) made driving the car much better. Best bang for buck performance on a stock motor might be a 3.73 rear gear with a speedometer calibration, but I've stuck with the 3.27 so far choosing instead to concentrate on chassis and suspension. I figure to have the car completely sorted out before any engine mods/swaps (mine's at 91k miles).

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

This is my first mustang I have owned and after driving it 10,000 miles I've decided I'd like to give it a power bump but I dont want to go with forced induction. I have been doing alot of searching but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I just recently ordered a CAI and sct x4 tuner bc american muscle advertised it to give 45hp with this combo but since this is my first time using a Tuner I'm assuming this advertised number is most likely on a custom tune rather than the canned tune which I originally planned on using.

If I do end up putting CAI and canned tune do you guys think the hp/tq gain would be worth it? Worth it meaning at least more than 10-12 hp. Or would it be best to just do a custom tune. Or would either of them not make much a difference. Bc I live in CA the emissions regulations is strict as hell so the full exhaust plan is out the door.

2000 mustang gt
86,0000 miles
Stock engine
Stock intake and throttle body
Stock exhaust manifold and cats
H pipe and magnflow exhaust

From my research a tune is only necessary with large changes and I don't think it is a cost effective way to gain more HP. A CAI and a tune for 45HP is hard to believe from my experience( if somebody could prove me wrong, I would love 45HP more for that simple a thing). Gears are the best bang for the money IMHO.

Reactions: 1 users
IMO the best modification for the buck possible is any service manual that helps you to repair your own car. Ford service, AlldataDIY.com, Hayes, Chilton.

Followed closely by updating your own knowledge of how to work on your own car.

A working stock car will always go faster than a broken modified car.

Signed.
Ward Cleaver.

Knowledge is power!

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/forscan-odb2-scanner-w-elm327-usb.57/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with neuron! Well spoken wmburns. If you want acceleration then go 3.73 or 4.10's. I have 4.10's and what a difference that made. Honestly I wouldn't bother with the tuner unless you have a full bolt on build or doing some serious modification to the engine. The only time a tune would be needed is when you change parts out that effect the fuel to air mix ratio. This is when you need a tune. The car itself should be able to adjust to minor modifications made by the PCM. Take it from someone who has this list of mods.
Trick Flow Twisted Heads 44cc-Stage 3 Cams XE270AH-Satin Typhoon Intake Manifold-C&L Upper Throttle Body Intake Plenum-BBK 70MM Throttle Body-SR Performance Cold Air Intake-SCT BA-3000 Big Air 90MM MAF-BBK Long Tube Headers-Venom 30lb Injectors
BBK High Flow Fuel Rails-Excel Coils-255 LPH SVT Focus Fuel Pump-PA 170 AMP Alternator-Ford Racing 4.10's-Steeda Pulleys-Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft-Tidanza Adjustable Cam Gears-Billet Steel flywheel-Ram HDX Clutch-Speeda clutch cable-Steeda Pulleys

Since you already have bought the CAI and tuner - might as well put them on.

Limiting yourself to NA options is going to severely limit your power gain options, especially in CA. Everything in bolt on land is 5-10hp. :( Hope you change your mind and start looking for a CARB approved forced induction kit. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with Dark^^. $/Horsepower is cheaper when doing forced induction. If I had to do it over again I would have saved my money and went forced induction. Although the deep raspy sound I wouldn't trade for anything on my stang.

Thank you everyone for your input it's been very helpful. Unfortunately when I tried to place a return on my recently bought items they were on a prohibited list so I guess this might be a sign to just go with a CARB legal forced induction anybody have any recommendations? I dont wanna dump serious cash like I said just want a little power bump. Thanks in advance

Also to add the tuner i got was an x4 by sct and the CAI was a sr performace. The diameter is the same exact diameter as the throttle body. I mention this bc I know its recommended to go bigger on the air with forced induction but since I'mnot trying to crazy on the power will this suffice?