• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Compression Test Numbers

  • Thread starter Thread starter mattd39
  • Start date Start date Dec 27, 2015
M

mattd39

New Member
Dec 27, 2015
3
0
1
Dec 27, 2015
#1
  • Dec 27, 2015
  • #1
Hey Guys,

This is my first post here and I needed help with my 95 V6.

I think my rings are shot given the wet test numbers. Please provide you thoughts.

Wet Dry Cylinder Dry Wet
180 151 3 6 159 170
180 150 2 5 155 160
180 155 1 4 148 170

EDIT: I can't format the above numbers properly so I hope everyone understands squished numbers. Cylinder numbers are single digit and in the middle.
 

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Dec 27, 2015
#2
  • Dec 27, 2015
  • #2
It looks OK to me. The ideal is no more than 10% difference between the highest and lowest reading cylinders.

The spread between dry and wet indicates that the pistions and rings are getting a bit worn. Depending on what your plans are for the car, a rebuilt short block may be in the future. It all depends on how much the car is driven and how it is driven. If this car is a weekend cruiser, it will go a long time. If it is a daily driver, the repair cycle will depend on how much oil it burns. Oil consumption down around 1 qt. per 500 miles with no visible leaks generally means it is time for a short block or remanufactured engine. Again, watch the oil consumption with an engine that does not leak oil.
 
M

mattd39

New Member
Dec 27, 2015
3
0
1
Dec 28, 2015
#3
  • Dec 28, 2015
  • #3
Thanks for the feedback.

Some background on why I did the test; I had my car tuned about 10 years ago and immediately after I had issues with overheating and gas in the oil. I never had to deal with those issues cause the car went into storage shortly after and I recently started driving the car again. I checked the fuel pressure and it holds so it's not a leaky injector.

My guess is could still be tuning issue either too much fuel at start up or cam timing off.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

D
Engine Questions on compression test results
  • dqureshi06
  • Jan 6, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
497
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 7, 2025
Noobz347
Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
466
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
S
5.0 Rebuild
  • smittys7up
  • Nov 29, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
14
Views
929
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 16, 2026
keel
S
Fuel ‘88 GT Runs Rich Cold — Fixes Itself When I Unplug Sensors (ECT, MAF, O2, etc.)
  • Sufarry
  • Nov 6, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
12
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Nov 9, 2025
Mustang5L5
E
Finished my Fox Hydroboost Install - Tips
  • Engineer Duane
  • Apr 9, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 5, 2025
Engineer Duane
E
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?